If you have wooden furniture such as tabletops to bar counters and you’d love to give them a high gloss finish with stunning beauty, then you know what to use- epoxy resins. If you are into wood crafts and need to create that one-of-kind wooden art pieces, say river tables, you need the best epoxy for the river table; this will give your structure that looks that will be appealing to every eye.
You might be good at woodworking crafts; however, that does not qualify you as a good painter or excellent at picking the right finishes to give your structures. Most people get it wrong when it comes to the selection of the right finishes to apply to their structures. I’ve seen people spending their hard-earned money on the wrong products, and I want to help bring that to an immediate end. Therefore, I’ve reviewed the best epoxy products that you can apply to your river table, as shown below:
The List Of The Best Epoxy For River Table…
1. DEEP Pourable Plastic Casting Resin 2″ THICK Specially Designed For River Tables
This formula, the DEEP Pourable Plastic Casting Resin, is the overall best epoxy for river tables that you can buy out there. It offers you a high glossy, ultra-clear complexion that no other formula can match on your River Tables.
What makes this product different from other epoxies is while most covering epoxies require slim pours of about 1/8-1/4 Inch for every application, the Deep Pourable Plastic Resin pours for up to 2 Inches of Thickness.
If you are looking to restore your structure or finish the new ones, this formula presents an exceptionally great option though it comes with a reasonable longer work time. Ensure that when you are applying this resin, the surface is free of dust and is dry.
This formula dries at a slow rate, and you can say it’s because it is a thick pour of epoxy tar. It takes about 36-48 hours to dry depending on temperature; this drying time is quite different from that of Bar Top Epoxy Resins.
The Summary of Top Features
- It gives you a 2″ Thick pour for River Tables, Live Edges, Casting and other Embedding Applications
- This formula is compatible with colored epoxy and mixes well with Mica Pigment Powders
- It cures into a bright crystal finish
- This product comes with a low exotherm, low viscosity, minimal shrinking but it requires increased work time
- The formula is easy to use and mixes well with other formulas to give perfect outcomes.
- The formula is pourable up to 2 inches thick.
- It’s durable
- It does yellow under certain conditions
2. WiseBond DEEP Pour 2” Thick Single Pour Epoxy Resin for River Tables
What do you need in epoxy resin? If you are looking for a finish that will give you an exceptional professional-grade result in a single pour, then this is your product.
This formula is designed especially for the woodworking projects and industry; it comes with a 2” thick pour that saves you money, time, and effort! You don’t have to pour 1/2”, 1/4” or less so you can wait 24 hours to dry and add another layer. Additionally, you don’t have to sand in between multiple layers of epoxy pours.
A single pour of two inches thick of this formula is enough for your entire woodworking project and allows you to make a live edge river table.
This epoxy resin, WiseBond Deep Pour Epoxy, cures into a crystal clear appearance, and you can choose to tint it with liquid pigment colorants.
What’s fascinating about this formula is its thin viscosity, which allows you to seal all the potential points where seepage might occur.
The Summary of Top Features
- This formula is specially formulated for wood tables, and you must not use it for all purposes.
- It gives you a 2” thick coat in a single pour
- You can have it clear or tinted with liquid/stable pigments
- The finish comes with highest UV blockers hence it resists yellowing
- It has no volatile organic compounds
- Mixes in the ratio of 2:1
- It gives a live edge to your tables
- The formula does not need multiple layers hence saves time
- It does not contain toxic fumes
- It takes a lot of time to dry and cure
3. Crystal Clear Bar Table Top Epoxy Resin Coating For Wood Tabletop
You will love this epoxy product on your river tables because once it cures, you will have an incredibly durable finish. The finish on the surface has an excellent level of resistance to abrasion and liquids, which makes it great for hard-wearing surfaces, such as those of river tables and bars tops. Much as I’d advise you to use this formula on wooden surfaces, you can apply it on almost all surfaces.
This tabletop Epoxy meets all the FDA-compliant. What does this mean? Well, you can use it on all the surfaces that come into contact with food. These surfaces include bar tops, river tabletops, wooden tumblers, plus glassware. You can also use it on DIY projects, such as finishing different wood crafts projects.
You need to measure and mix this formula in equal portions before applying it over the surface of your river table. According to the manufacturer’s recommendation, you need to use a wood sealer before you can apply your 1/8-inch flood coat.
Additionally, you can apply extra flood coats so that you have a thicker final coating. One important thing that you need to do while using this formula is to wait for a minimum of 4 hours between pours.
It takes a little longer, up to 72 hours, to dry and cure, which can be a disadvantage, especially if you are working on short timelines. The formula even takes longer in the events where the temperatures are below 72 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Summary of Top Features
- You can use this formula over many surfaces such as Table Tops, Bars countertops, Wood finishes, Artwork, etc.
- The formula is self-leveling and offers a High Gloss U.V. Resistance.
- It cures into a robust finish with resistance to water and moisture.
- The formula eliminates craters, Crawling, and Fish Eyes on the surface of your structure.
- It does not blush
- The formula is scratch-resistant with a high-gloss finish
- It cures into a bright crystal finish
- It is compliant with FDA requirements for safety around food
- This product does excellent on wood, but you can use it for virtually any surface
- It does not have harmful chemicals
- It takes a long time to dry and cure, about 72 hours or more.
4. MAS Table Top Pro Epoxy Resin & Hardener
MAS Epoxies are not the household name when it comes to the manufacturing of epoxy products; however, their product, Mas Table Top Pro, is arguable the best epoxy for river tables you will find around.
This epoxy formula represents one of the best options for those that are looking for a product that gives you professional-quality output. At the same time, you can apply it over virtually all surfaces. One thing you must do when handling this formula is to apply it faster.
Having used this formula on numerous accounts, I rate it as the best epoxy formula for all-around usage.
So why do I love this product that much? It is from professionals to professionals even DIYers would appreciate using this formula.
The Summary of Top Features
- The formula comes with an excellent glass-like finish, the ultimate beauty on your furniture
- This formula is convenient and easy to apply
- It has a self-leveling feature making it easy for your projects
- The epoxy resin comes with an impressive thickness of 1/8 inches
- It comes with the most extensive coverage you can find out there
- The formula cures into a clear coat
- The durability of this formula is impressive
- It protects the surface against UltraViolet rays
- The curing time of the formula is long
- Forms bubbles
5. DEEP Pour Epoxy Resin Kit Crystal Clear Liquid Glass
FGCI DEEP Pour Epoxy is another epoxy finish that you need to think about if you are working with a river table. It gives you an ultra-thick casting resin that guarantees your structure so much durability. Using this two-part 3/4-gallon kit allows you to create up to 2 to 4 inch pours. The formula is excellent on surfaces such as river tables, live edges, casts, countertops, tabletops, and more.
What’s even more fascinating about this formula is that it cures into a super clear and glossy finish. You can, however, choose to tint it with a bit of mica powder.
Furthermore, this formula comes with UV blockers that ensure that this epoxy finish can withstand prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Even so, this formula is not suitable for full-time outdoor usage.
Another thing that you know about this formula is that it takes relatively longer to cure. Usually, it ranges anywhere from 32 to 72 hours for this formula to gel.
The Summary of Top Features
- It comes with UV blockers
- You can apply it over numerous surfaces
- It cures into a clear finish
- The formula comes with a long working window
- It has a flexible aesthetics
- The formula has a low viscosity
- It offers a deep pour (2 to 4 inches)
- It takes longer to dry
6. TotalBoat Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear
What do you need in epoxy resin? If it is quality, then this formula, TotalBoat Crystal Clear Epoxy Resin, answers all your questions.
This product has so much to offer you, and the most significant part of this all is that it gives you so much versatility such that you can use it on many surfaces to produce an exquisite finish for your different projects. Additionally, this formula has both self-leveling and anti-blushing characteristics.
With this formula, you get a 1/8 thickness per layer, and this makes it a perfect choice for you, especially if you are looking for something decent, durable, and resilient. When it comes to coverage, this product does not disappoint and can cover up to 12 square feet of the surface using a gallon- enough to finish several tabletops nicely.
Considering that this formula is all-purpose, here are some of the surfaces over which you can apply its wooden surfaces, ceramic, stones, concrete, and metals. Rest assured that you shall get a fantastic finish regardless of the surface.
NOTE: You can use this formula for outdoor projects because it can resist elements such as ultraviolet rays from the sun.
The Summary of Top Features:
- You get a smooth final finish
- The formula is durable and can resist virtually everything from scratches to impacts
- It has a thick coat of 1/8 inches
- This formula is straightforward to apply
- It gives you the versatility to use it on many surfaces
- It gives you a clear coat
- The formula comes with the self-leveling property
- It is waterproof
- It can resist heat
- This epoxy has a quick drying time
- It resists both blush and bubble
- It’s not best for outdoor much as it has UV blockers
7. Art ‘N Glow Clear Casting and Coating Epoxy Resin
Even though this formula is small in size, it remains among the best epoxy for river tables that you can buy today. It might not be up on top of my list, but this formula is everything you’d want to use to finish your river table.
One of its most amazing features is the self-leveling property that allows you to save time while applying it. This self-leveling property is amazing at 1/16 inches.
Additionally, this formula comes with a self-degassing feature. Why is that important? This property makes this finish to resist the formation of bubbles during the application and the drying and curing time.
Even though this formula is available in a small 16-ounce kit, it still does have excellent coverage of 3 square feet of area with no difficulties. In case you are working on small projects such as coffee tabletops and other small structures, Art ‘N Glow resin makes the perfect choice for your course.
It comes with a faster drying time with less to do during the process.
Finally, you should be excited about using this formula because it can resist yellowing and will retain its original crystalline appearance throughout the year. It does withstand and offers wood protection against the dangerous ultraviolet rays.
The Summary of Top Features:
- This formula resists UltraViolet rays and yellowing
- It comes with self-degassing property which prevents the formation of bubbles
- Self-leveling in this formula occurs at 1/16 inches to form a decently thick skin
- This formula cures into a bright crystalline look
- Other than its self-leveling and degassing traits, this resin has no odor
- It has a faster drying time hence saving time during the application
- Best only for small projects
8. East Coast Resin Epoxy Resin Crystal Clear
You must have heard about this epoxy formula by now. If you have not, then you should know that the East Coast Resin Epoxy is among the best, if not the best, epoxy products that you can use for your river table surface. From my experience using this formula, I’d recommend it without second thoughts.
One fascinating feature of this formula is that you can use it on all wood types to end up with a clear look on your surfaces.
If you want to talk about the durability and resistance of a finish, then talk about East Coast Resin. This product does resist ultraviolet rays, resist scratches, and above all, it is waterproof. If you choose to use his formula outdoors, it will perform beyond your expectations.
I love working with this epoxy resin for one reason; it does not produce toxic fumes or smells when you are applying it. You don’t even have to worry about using protective gear when working with this epoxy formula.
When it comes to usability, this product is one of the best because it is easy to apply. It cures to give you a surface with a smooth feel upon touch. It has a faster spreading and takes a short duration to dry. The average drying time of this formula is about 30 minutes ( if you apply it together with its hardener).
One gallon of this epoxy formula has impressive coverage of up to 25 square feet of an area. That’s a large area and can total to surfaces of several wooden structures.
The Summary of top features:
- This formula is resistant to ultraviolet rays, scratches, and moisture
- The coverage provided by this epoxy is useful for many pieces of furniture
- It is easy to apply formula
- This product offers you a stunning finish on woods
- It does an excellent job on almost all types of surfaces
- It cures into a high gloss finish
- The formula offers protection against ultraviolet rays
- It does not have a smell
- The product has the self-leveling property
- It’s waterproof
- It comes with what could be the quickest curing time
- It forms bubbles
Best Epoxy For River Tables Buyer’s Guide
Shopping for the right epoxy resins for your rever tables might not be the most straightforward thing to do, mainly if you haven’t used this type of finish before. However, that should not worry you now because I have highlighted some of the epoxy resins’ critical features that you should look for to ensure that you get what’s right for your project. They include:
The Area of Coverage of The Formula
I assume that at this point, you are aware of the size of your project if you don’t, you should. Then, ask yourself how much space can the formula you are looking to buy can cover? Whether you need a gallon, a pint, or ounce, it all depends on your project’s size.
It is a common belief that epoxy resins that are easily applied cover the most significant area. Therefore, if you are looking for the best value for your money on a product, go for the product with the most extensive coverage.
The Gloss of the Finish
Gloss is another essential part of a poxy resin that one needs to consider when shopping for this kind of a finish.
You can define gloss as the brightness and clarity that you get from an epoxy finish in this case; of course, other formulas like varnishes have gloss too. Most people buy epoxy resins because of different gloss qualities this product offers, and therefore, you cannot ignore it whatsoever.
I find a high gloss epoxy resin so attractive and beautiful in the eye. Even so, there are the crystal clear epoxy formulas which are way shinier and brighter.
Additionally, you can choose to use a formula with a mirror-like gloss, which most users prefer by the way.
Drying and Curing Time
I love formulas that do not drag when it comes to the drying and curing time, and so should you! Curing time is another crucial aspect of epoxy resins that you should pay close attention to, the best product are those that take a very short duration to dry and cure.
If you are working in small areas, for example, you should work with the formulas that take an average duration of 30 minutes to dry. On large surfaces such as floors, you should go for formulas that take a range of 2-72 hours to dry.
Availability of the Hardener
Hardeners are essential components of epoxy resins, and it is the formula that comes along with the resin to facilitates faster drying. Usually, you will find the hardener available as a second separate gallon.
If you are looking to save time when working with epoxy finishes, you should always prioritize the use of those that come with hardeners.
Imagining using a formula that levels by itself, especially on areas that you did not apply correctly. Such a formula will save your time through what you might as well term as “autocorrection” on the surfaces that you might not have spread evenly.
Self-leveling property helps you achieve a smooth finish over the surfaces of your structures, such as the river table. This feature spares you the struggle of wiping the resin in a bid to attain a level surface.
From my experience, I advise my customers to go for epoxy formulas that level at about 1/8 inches.
Resistance to Blush
You might have come across a blush in your epoxy finish before. If you haven’t, you should know that it is a waste product of the resin that usually changes color and can lead to an uneven effect over your furniture’s surface. If you are going to shop for epoxy resin, ensure that you go for one with resistance to blushing.
The Anti-Bubble Feature
This feature is essential. During my first years in woodworking, I’d come to a cross bubble on polyurethane finishes. It was so discouraging, one fantastic thing about epoxies is that there are some with anti bubbles features, always try to shop for those products to minimize chances of bubbles messes.
Water and Moisture Resistance
Always go for epoxy resins that can resist water and moisture whether or not you are using them on the exterior environment. Such a formula will protect the surface of your wooden structures in case of water spillage or high humidity.
Ultraviolet Rays Inhibitors
UV is very dangerous when it comes to discoloration and fading of surfaces. If you are going to purchase epoxy products, especially those you will use on the exterior environment, ensure that you go for the ones with UV blockers. That way, you will be doing your structure the biggest favor of protection against sunlight.
Resistance to Scratch and Impact
Sometimes, it is not the typical elements such as water and ultraviolet radiation that destroy your wooden structures and surfaces. It could be different forms of scratches or impacts. There are so many epoxy resins out there that can withstand impacts, and they should be the one you consider first each time you are out there shopping.
Watch the video below on how to make an epoxy river table:
If you have a river table and think of a finish to offer it the ultimate beauty, you should always think of epoxy resins. These products give your wooden structures more than just beauty; they protect and help preserve the surfaces.
My overall best epoxy for river tables is DEEP Pourable Plastic Casting Resin 2″ THICK Specially Designed For River Tables, this product answers all your questions of beautifying as well as protecting your river table. If you can apply it the right way, you will be smiling all through its service life- nothing will beat the beauty it gives your river table.
Having read this product review, I hope you have found helpful tips on the right epoxy formulas that you consider for your river tables. If you have any questions or opinions regarding this post, kindly share it with me in the comment section below.