Masonry, carpentry, and any woodworking projects in need of wood, plastic, or metal cutting require the right tool. These projects require you to consider the Best Portable Bandsaw, which does not disappoint. Working with the saw is an enjoyable experience as it offers a classy and elegant touch on your work.
The unit features a powerful motor that favors heavy-duty applications and a variable speed trigger function that allows you to control its speed. Most woodworkers testify that the product is easy and safe to operate as it has a comfortable ergonomic handle. On top of that, the portable band saw is lightweight and compact, making it easy to carry and move around during working sessions.
If you are wondering if the tool is useful in a poorly lit place, worry no more! The device has an LED work light that illuminates the working surface and makes the cut line visible. It has an impressive storage feature that allows you to hang it safely without damaging any parts.
Additionally, the device is available in so many types and brands, giving you many alternatives to choose from depending on your project needs. We have products that favor small cutting projects, which are small and have a lower power capacity.
On the other hand, we have more sturdy and larger band saws that favor professional and commercial cutting applications.
Enjoy reading this article to get more information about the best portable band saws you would find in the market and what features you should look at before adding them to your toolbox.
Best Portable Bandsaw Comparison Table
|DEWALT 20V MAX Portable Band Saw, Deep Cut, Tool Only (DCS374B)||Buy On Amazon|
|Makita XBP02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Portable Band Saw, Tool Only||Buy On Amazon|
|DEWALT DCS371P1 20V MAX Lithium Ion Band Saw Kit with DEWALT DW3986C 14/18 TPI Portable Band Saw Blade, 3-Pack||Buy On Amazon|
|BOSCH GCB10-5 Deep-Cut Band Saw, Blue||Buy On Amazon|
|RYOBI P590-P163 18-Volt ONE+ Cordless Portable Band Saw Kit with (1) 2.0 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery and Dual Chemistry Charger||Buy On Amazon|
|DEWALT Portable Band Saw, Deep Cut, 10 Amp, 5-Inch (DWM120K) , Yellow , Large||Buy On Amazon|
|MILWAUKEE'S 2729-20 M18 Fuel Deep Cut Band Saw Tool Only||Buy On Amazon|
|DEWALT 20V MAX Portable Band Saw Kit, Deep Cut (DCS374P2)||Buy On Amazon|
|MILWAUKEE'S 2429-21XC M12 Cordless Sub-Compact Bandsaw Kit||Buy On Amazon|
Best Portable Bandsaw Buyer’s Guide
If you are buying the woodworking bandsaw for the first time, you will likely experience a tough time as there are a million and one options in the market.
Therefore, you need to critically assess your project needs and get a unit that will deliver.
In the next section, I have discussed important aspects to consider before purchasing the best portable bandsaw that will offer you all you need for your woodworking projects going forward.
Reasons for Getting the Best Portable Bandsaw
- Lightweight. The portable bandsaw is easy to carry around, and one does not get tired when using it for more extended working sessions. It is suitable for a user with different work stations as they can move around with it.
- LED function. Poorly lit working environments do not threaten your work’s continuity as the machine has an LED work light function that lights up the workstations. The feature also helps in reducing accidents as you can see where you are cutting.
- Powerful motor. Working with the product is enjoyable as it has a powerful engine that withstands challenging applications and offers excellent results. The motor gives the device stability as it cuts through materials.
- Safe and comfortable to use. The unit has a soft ergonomic handle that maximizes comfort as you work and reduces user fatigue. It is also a one-hand handling device and assures you of safety.
- Easy storage. Storing the saw is relatively easy as it features an integrated hang hook that allows you to hang it safely without damaging the base or the front handle. Therefore, the device lasts longer and stays in good shape.
- Adjustable blade tracking function. This feature allows the tool to accommodate various blades in the market, making it easy for you to get a compatible one.
- Affordable. Most users agree that the machine is relatively cheap and has price ranges that accommodate all woodworkers’ preferences.
What to Consider When Looking for the Best Portable Bandsaw
- The blade type
The blade type is among the essential factors to consider as it determines what projects you pick. The blade should be firm and robust enough to cut through wood, glass, and metal and allow you to make adjustments quickly.
A suitable blade should not be too thick such that you cannot see the cut line. Instead, it should have the perfect thickness for superb results.
- Cutting speed
Various projects require different cutting speeds, requiring you to assess your project and determine the most suitable band saw. Wood, glass, and metal require varying speeds, and if you want to do a good job, you need to choose wisely.
A device with a multi-speed setting is the most appropriate tool to have in your workstation as it will allow you to adjust to the required speed.
- Safety of use
A cordless saw will always have two handles: holding the machine and the other for managing the power knob. Such a cutting unit is a safe one as you can control on and off functions.
A lightweight band saw is also safe to use as you have a firm grip on it and can easily control it.
If you want to get a tool that you can comfortably move around with, ensure you get a lightweight product that will not wear you out as you carry it. You may consider a cordless device as it is convenient to move around from one place to another.
If you have many workstations, a portable band saw is the best option because you can move with it to your project location. You cut on costs as you don’t have to buy a saw for each station.
Lighting is an essential element as you buy a band saw if you work late into the night. A machine featuring an LED work light function is an ideal choice as it illuminates the cut line and helps you get precise cuts even in a low-lit workstation.
Technological advancement has improved the LED function as we have saws whose work light functions with a 20-second delay.
Your project determines the band saw to get because various applications require different machine features for desirable results.
For example, if you engage in highly professional projects, you need a sturdy bandsaw with a high power capacity motor.
In contrast, if you need a home projects device for small cutting projects, you should get a manageable and less powerful unit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do all cordless saw bands come with a battery and charger?
Very few manufacturers provide a battery and charger along with the unit. Ensure you determine what you need to buy to have a complete project kit.
How deep can a saw band cut?
Most saw bands can cut up to 5 inches deep. However, some cut slightly lower.
Do the saws come with blades?
However, the blades may not sufficiently serve all your cutting needs: thus, you may have to spend a few more coins to get the edge of your choice.
How do I store the saw?
Most of the saws feature an integrated hanging hook that allows you to easily hang the machine between cuts and store it once you finish your work.
Best Portable Bandsaw Products Reviews
Let’s look at individual bandsaws and analyse the features that makes each different and how much each promise for your various woodworking projects. Keep reading…
1. DEWALT Portable Band Saw, Deep Cut, Tool Only (DCS374B)
DEWALT Portable Band Saw (DCS374B) is a must-have tool that features a 5″ cut capacity to accommodate various projects such as cutting strut, pipe, and angle iron. It makes impressive cuts of up to 4″ SCH 40 pipe and offers you double reinforcement, assuring you of fantastic results.
The unit has an LED work light with a 20-second delay to illuminate the work surfaces. It calls your attention to the integrated hang hook that helps you handle it without damaging the front handle or base. The band saw a tool-less changing lever that loosens the blade tension and can control the device using the variable speed trigger to enjoy maximum versatility.
- The tool has a variable speed trigger and dial that offers versatility and control.
- It prides itself in an LED work light with a 20-second delay to illuminate dark work surfaces.
- You can comfortably hang the saw without damaging its base or strong handle, thanks to the integrated hang hook.
- DEWALT DCS374B has a tool-less changing lever that loosens the blade tension during blade changes.
- It has a 5″ cut capacity to cut angle iron, strut, and other materials.
- The machine allows easy blade changes.
- It is durable and serves you for a more extended period.
- You can easily adjust the product.
- After charging the battery, it lasts a full day of intense projects.
- The trigger does not lock on: it just goes off.
- DEWALT DCS374B is a bare tool item that requires you to buy the battery separately.
2. Makita XBP02Z Cordless Portable Band Saw
The Makita XBP02Z saw has a high torque motor that allows you to work on multiple projects. It features a protection circuit with built-in alert light, which offers an over-torque motion protection warning, and increases the product’s durability. Also, the unit has a conveniently located variable speed control function that helps you match its speed to the application.
You will enjoy more support for more accurate cuts, thanks to the adjustable foot. The tool has a compact design and is lightweight, which makes it easy to use. It has an inbuilt LED light that illuminates the work surface and is perfect for plumbing, installation, and other metal cutting tasks.
- The band saw has a 4-¾” cutting capacity that is perfect for cutting multiple metal materials.
- It has a protection circuit with a built-in alert light that offers over-torque motor protection warning for increased durability.
- You can comfortably use the variable speed control dial to match the device’s speed with your application’s speed.
- Makita XBP02Z has an adjustable foot that protects the material and provides support for more accurate cuts.
- Makita XBP02Z has a compact design and is lightweight.
- It has a long and ergonomic shape that fits like a glove to reduce operator fatigue.
- The machine has a built-in LED light for an illuminated work area.
- It allows for easy and quick blade changing thanks to the tool-less blade changing system.
- It is quite expensive compared to other band saws.
3. DEWALT Portable Band Saw Kit (DCS371P1)
This machine offers you unmatched support during your work session as it has dual-bearing blade guide rollers that provide increased stability in the blade support system. It also features a 2-2/2 cut capacity and can cut up to 2″ SCH 40 pipe.
Working with the device is comfortable and enjoyable, thanks to the central handle position that provides superior balance and ergonomics and reduces user fatigue. DEWALT (DCS371P1) is also easy to store as the integrated hang hook hangs the saw without damaging its base or front handle.
Additionally, the tool has an LED work light with a 20-second delay that illuminates dark workplaces and facilitates accurate cutting. It features an excellent battery life that allows you to have long working sessions without worrying about the power supply.
The Summary of Top Features
- The unit features a blade tracking adjustment function that increases the blade life.
- It has a dual-bearing blade guide roller that provides increased durability in the blade support system.
- DEWALT (DCS371P1) offers you an LED work light with 20-second delays, illuminating the work area for accurate cutting.
- You can safely store it without damaging the front handle or the base, thanks to the integrated hang hook.
- The product is easy to operate.
- It is durable.
- DEWALT (DCS371P1) has a centered handle position that reduces user fatigue.
- It is compact and lightweight.
- The unit features an impressive battery life.
- It allows easy and quick blade change.
- Users complain it is too expensive.
4. BOSCH GCB10-5 Deep-Cut Band Saw
The BOSCH GCB10-5 is a lightweight, easy to handle unit that delivers nearly spark-free cuts through materials such as conduit and rebar. It features a robust 10 amp motor that assures you of clean and precise cuts and reduces the rework needed for tempering colors or burrs.
Experts enjoy using the tool as it is powerful enough to handle professional-sized jobs on most materials. It also provides nearly spark-free cuts for safer metal cutting operations and has an LED light function illuminating the cut line.
This ergonomic compact band saw weighs only 14.5 lbs and is ideal for overhead cuts. It also features a saw hook that allows you to hang it between cuts comfortably.
The Summary of Top Features
- The product features a robust 10 amp motor that provides clean cuts, and no rework is necessary for tempering colors and burrs.
- It has a deep-cut capability and cuts up to 4-¾ in a single pass.
- BOSCH GCB10-5 has a variable-speed setting that offers versatility to match its cutting speed to the material.
- The machine is perfect for cutting rigid overhead materials, thanks to its compact and lightweight design.
- The product offers a smooth handling experience and is an excellent choice for handymen.
- It is an impressive portable unit for more intense projects.
- BOSCH GCB10-5 cuts spark-free, offering you safer metal-cutting operations.
- It gives you clean and precise cuts.
- The device has a saw hook to hang between cuts.
- You can see the cut line as it has a bright LED light.
- The machine does not have a locking trigger.
- Its material is not sturdy compared to DCS374B.
5. Ryobi Cordless Portable Band Saw (Tool Only) P590
Ryobi P590 is a versatile, durable band saw with a fantastic cut capacity that accommodates a wide range of applications. It also has a rare design that makes it comfortably cut metal, plastic, and wood.
The device has a hanging hook that makes an overhead storage option viable and an integrated pommel handle that increases comfort and visibility. It is lightweight and portable, making it easy to operate and transport.
Although you will buy the product’s battery and charger separately, Ryobi P590 features a 560 surface-feet per minute clearance capacity that gets the work done as soon as possible.
The Summary of Top Features
- Ryobi P590 has a hang hook feature that provides easy overhead storage.
- It also has an integrated pommel handle, which delivers increased visibility and comfort.
- The device features 560 SFPM clearance for quick cuts in all materials, allowing you to work on multiple projects.
- It has an adjustable blade tracking function that fits most blades.
- The machine is lightweight and compact, making it easy to carry and transport.
- The product has an impressive cut capacity.
- It cuts metal, wood, and plastic.
- Ryobi P590 is easy to maintain.
- It is safe and easy to operate.
- The unit has an enhanced blade life.
- The manufacturer sells the bare tool, battery, and charger separately.
6. DEWALT Portable Band Saw, Deep Cut, (DWM120K)
This band saw features a durable and adjustable material guide that allows you to set it for optimal performance when working with various materials. It possesses an LED sight light that helps you see the cutting area even in poorly lit environments and provides a safe working session.
The tool’s integrated hanging hook allows you to hang it without putting it up and down. It also has the right steel shroud and rubber bumpers to enable the saw’s guards to withstand tough jobs. You can easily maintain the device as it has an accurate blade tracking adjustment function that reduces wear and tear.
The Summary of Top Features
- The device has an LED sight light that enables you to see the cut line in a dark working environment.
- It has an integrated hanging hook that allows you to hang the saw without damaging the castings or the front handle.
- DEWALT (DWM120K) features a variable speed dial that varies the speed for various applications and specific materials.
- It has an easy-to-service steel shroud and rubber bumpers that allow the band saw’s to withstand intense jobs.
- The unit has a soft ergonomic handle that enhances comfort and reduces user fatigue.
- DEWALT (DWM120K) has an ergonomic grip option that helps you firmly hold the machine’s body as you work.
- You will enjoy working with externally replaceable brushes, which allow you to make quick repairs whenever necessary.
- The machine increases blade life.
- The tool’s blades are expensive.
7. Milwaukee 2729-20 Deep Cut Band Saw Tool Only
This band saw is durable and does not require replacements now and then. It offers an adjustable tension on the blades, making it an efficient option, and has a powerful motor that allows you to work on intense applications. On top of that, the machine is lightweight and has a compact design, making it easy to use and handle.
The LED lighting helps you see the cut line even in poorly lit working environments. It is safe to use as it is a one-hand handling tool and offers a blade tracking feature that accommodates most blades.
The Summary of Top Features
- The unit offers blade tracking that accommodates many blades in the market.
- It has LED lighting that helps you see the cut line clearly, even in a dark working environment.
- Milwaukee 2729-20 features adjustable tension on blades that makes it more efficient.
- It has a powerful engine that helps it tackle intense projects.
- The machine is lightweight, which reduces user fatigue even in long working sessions.
- The product is easy to use and handle.
- It is highly durable and serves you for more extended periods.
- Milwaukee 2729-20 is relatively cheap compared to other units.
- It is safe to use as it is a one-hand handling machine.
- The unit is not convenient for heavy users as it has a low cutting capacity.
8. DEWALT Portable Band Saw Kit, Deep Cut (DCS374P2)
This DEWALT product has an impressive 5″ x 4-¾” cut capacity that allows it to take care of seemingly challenging projects. It also has an adjustable speed trigger and dial that gives you maximum versatility and control. The band saw has a tool-less blade changing lever that loosens the blade tension during blade changes.
You can comfortably work with the machine in poorly lit working environments, thanks to the LED work light with a 20-second delay. The integrated hanging hook enables you to hang the tool without damaging the base or the front handle, thus increasing the tool’s durability.
The Summary of Top Features
- The variable speed trigger and dial help you adjust and control the device as you work.
- DEWALT (DCS374P2) has an integrated hang hook that enables you to hang the saw while preserving its base and front handle.
- It features an LED work light function that allows you to get excellent results even in poorly lit areas.
- The tool-less blade changing lever loosens blade tension and facilitates easy blade changes.
- The product has an impressive cut capacity and delivers clear and precise cuts.
- It is durable.
- DEWALT (DCS374P2) is lightweight and compact.
- It has a rubber bumper that provides support during intense applications.
- The device is easy to use and suitable for both experts and beginners.
- It is quite expensive compared to most band saws.
9. Milwaukee 2429-21XC Cordless Sub-Compact Bandsaw
Milwaukee 2729-20 is an affordable and tiny product that suits beginners. It is suitable for small projects and convenient for woodworkers who do not use it frequently. The tool has an adjustable tension on the blades that guarantees you smooth operations. Also, you can use it anywhere as it is cordless.
The machine has a powerful motor that helps it execute tasks to your expectations. It is a one-hand handling tool and assures you of maximum safety.
The Summary of Top Features
- The LED light helps you see the cuts more clearly despite being in a dark working station.
- Milwaukee 2429-21XC is safe to use as it is a one-hand handling unit.
- It has adjustable tension on the blades that help it operate more efficiently.
- The unit also possesses a powerful motor that assures you of desirable results.
- The unit is a tiny band saw, thus easy to carry and handle.
- It is cheap compared to most band saws.
- Milwaukee 2429-21XC is suitable for users who won’t use it frequently.
- You can use it anywhere as it does not have a chord.
- It is not suitable for professionals or heavy users.
The best portable bandsaw is a go-to product if you are a woodworker interested in accurate and precise cuts. It is also the most suitable product for professionals engaging in commercial or heavy-duty cutting applications as it has a powerful engine to provide support and stability. On top of that, beginners enjoy using the product as the manufacturer has smaller units to accommodate their less demanding projects.
The product is an excellent pick for individuals working with a limiting budget as we have very affordable alternatives. Also, there are various product types to choose from: thus, you do not have to compromise on any of your project needs.
All the band saws in this review will provide you with fantastic results. However, my top pick is the DEWALT Portable Band Saw, Deep Cut, Tool Only (DCS374B), which has enough capacity to handle projects such as cutting angle iron, pipes, and strut. It features a tool-less changing lever that allows quick and easy blade changes: thus, saves time. You can control the machine’s speed using the variable speed trigger dial to match your work needs.