Makita has been in existence as an electric motor company for over a century. Currently, it’s a dominating similar global companies with branches in more than 40 countries. This company is reputable and second to none in engineering innovation in rugged and durable power tools. In the cutting category, these manufacturers invested in the compound miter saws, and in this article, we are going to look at the very best Makita compound miter saw.
This product has high accuracy and power, thanks to the robust motor that provides immense power to tackle all job types. The unit was designed with accuracy and precision in mind. It’s effortless to use with features such as a bevel gauge, angled pivoting blade, varying blade size, and many more.
With this tool, you have a guaranteed safety from the various safety features installed. Some of these features include the transparent blade guard, electric brake system, and many more. You will also enjoy unique features, such as the LED light that illuminates the cut line.
For this and many more, keep reading to explore and select the best compound miter saw for your workshop.
List of the Best Makita Compound Miter Saw
1. Makita LS0815F Slide Compound Miter Saw
It’s more convenient to work with a compact and lightweight tool, especially when working a whole day long. For this reason, Makita has released the new Makita LS0815F Slide Compound Miter Saw that only weighs 31.1 lbs. This characteristic increases stability and portability when working. The LS0815F also has a transparent blade guard system that allows you to monitor the blade rotation and cut line.
With an ergonomic rubberized horizontal D-handle, you will have a better fit and added comfort even when handling the most demanding jobs. This product is a part of Makita’s expanding lineup of the best miter saws that deliver high performance for a range of cutting applications. The unit has a cutting capacity of up to 12″ at 90 degrees and 8½” at 45 degrees.
Versatility on this unit is guaranteed by the inbuilt LED light illuminating the cut line for increased accuracy. Even more, the LS0815F comes with a powerful 10.5AMP direct-drive motor that delivers up to 5000 RPM and requires less maintenance. You will also enjoy the flexibility of this saw as it miters 0 – 50 degrees left and 0 – 60 degrees to the right with positive stops at 0, 22.5, 31.6, 45, and 50 degrees.
Summary of the key features
- The product only weighs 31.1 lbs.
- It has a cutting depth of 12” at 90 degrees and 8½” at 45 degrees.
- The unit comes with a powerful 10.5AMP direct drive motor that produces up to 5000 RPM.
- Its job site portable.
- It offers durability, accuracy, and capacity for most cutting applications.
- The product has six positive stops.
- The maximum cutting depth is only 12” at 90 degrees.
2. Makita XSL06Z
The Makita XSL06Z is yet another production of the industry-leading Makita. It features two LXT batteries that deliver more power, run time, and speed with no need for a cord. The unit also has an electronically controlled BL motor that produces up to 4400 RPM to offer faster and smoother cutting.
Additionally, the motor eliminates the need for carbon brushes, enabling it to run cooler and more efficiently to increase shelf life. You will also have quick speed changes, thanks to the embedded automatic speed change technology that allows the machine to adjust the torque and cutting speed depending on the workpiece for optimum performance.
With this tool, you will have up to 334 cuts per charge in a 2 x 4 SPF and 192 cuts per charge in a 2 x 12 SPF lumber. You will also experience convenient operation with the front bevel lock mechanism. Lastly, the dual dust collection port provides excellent dust extraction.
Summary of the key features
- The unit has a unique two-steel rail sliding system that offers a reduced footprint against the wall.
- It has advanced technology that delivers up to 334 cuts per charge.
- It’s powered with two LXT batteries technology.
- The motor delivers up to 4400 RPM.
- The product is incorporated with an automatic speed change technology.
- It has a brushless motor.
- The tool uses a corded electric power source.
- It’s compact and lightweight.
- The batteries are sold separately.
3. Makita LS0815F Slide Compound Miter Saw
Makita LS0815F Compound Miter Saw is one reason why most contractors, DIYers, woodworkers, and many more professionals trust the Makita tools for their projects. The LS0815F combines compact and lightweight design with a powerful motor to offer reliable performance even on the most demanding jobs.
The motor is rated 10.5 AMP, thus provides a soft start, allowing you to experience smoother startups and constant power. This unit also has an electric brake system that provides added convenience.
In this item, you will also find a linear ball bearing system designed to deliver brilliant cross-cutting capacity with up to 8½” at 45 degrees. Besides, the saw miters 0 – 60 degrees right and 0 – 50 degrees left with included positive stops at 0, 15, 22.5, 31.6, 45, and 50 degrees on the left and right sides. The rear handle bevel lock is easily accessible and can adjust 0 – 48 degrees left and 0 – 5 degrees right. It also features positive stops at 0 and 45 degrees left.
Summary of the key features
- It has a large cutting capacity of 12” at 90 degrees and 8½” at 45 degrees.
- The product has a bright LED light to illuminate the line of cut.
- The linear ball bearing delivers accurate cuts.
- The motor 10.5 amp produces up to 5000 RPMs.
- The unit is ideal for job site portability.
- It has a large cutting capacity.
- It’s compact and lightweight.
- It has a maximum cutting capacity of 12″ at 90 degrees.
4. Makita XSL08Z
Built from rugged and durable material, the Makita XSL08Z withstands any working environment to facilitate its prolonged use. It’s powered by two robust LXT batteries that outdo the need for a cord to deliver more power, speed, and runtime. Consequently, it has a large cutting capacity of up to 8″ crown(nested), 15″ crosscuts, and 6¾” base(vertical) at 90 degrees.
The Makita XSL08Z is also embedded with an electronically controlled BL brushless motor which delivers up to 4400 RPM to allow for smoother and accurate cuts. It also eliminates carbon brushes, therefore, enabling it to run cooler and more effectively. The material extension wings provide more room to handle the bulkier workpieces.
The unique characteristic of this saw is the auto-start wireless system(AWS). This feature utilizes Bluetooth technology to facilitate wireless power on/off communication between the optional dust extractor and the tool. However, the AWS cable with the auto start wireless transmitter is sold separately. With a powerful dust collection port, your work area will always remain clean.
Summary of the key features
- Two LXT batteries power it.
- The item has an electronically controlled brushless motor.
- It produces up to 4400 RPMs.
- The unit has an auto start wireless system (AWS).
- It delivers up to 175 cuts per charge.
- It features a convenient dust collection system.
- It delivers faster and smoother cutting.
- The batteries have a long run time.
- It has material extension wings.
- The item has a large cutting capacity.
- It’s a bit bulky.
5. Makita XSL07Z
Like other Makita XSL miter saws, the XSL07Z features a robust motor that produces up to 4400 RPM. The saw is compatible with other tools, including the WS701N optional stand. As a pioneer in brushless motor engineering, battery technology, and miter saw innovation, Makita combined this expertise to develop the two powerful lithium-ion batteries that power this unit.
You will get up to 175 cuts per charge with a fade free continous runtime. The brushless motor runs more efficiently by delivering up to 4400 RPM. Another added feature on this best Makita compound miter saw is the automatic speed change technology, which you can use to adjust the speed and torque.
With this tool, you will experience smooth and accurate cutting with its unique two steel rail sliding system engineered to offer single slide glide operation. Additional features include the inbuilt laser, an electric brake, and a dual dust collection system.
Summary of the key features
- It comes with a two-steel unique rail sliding system.
- The machine miters 0 – 60 degrees left and right.
- Two 5.0Ah batteries power it.
- The thin kerf design provides smoother cuts.
- This miter saw has a large aluminum base that increases stability.
- The powerful motor delivers up to 4400 RPMs.
- No drag accompanies the cutting process.
- This saw delivers up to 100% faster cutting.
- Direct drive enables smoother startups and convenience.
- The dust collection ports facilitate excellent dust extraction.
- The saw can only miter between 0 – 60 degrees.
6. Makita LS1019L Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser
Why look for more, yet you have the Makita LS1019L Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser right at your disposal for all your cutting applications. The saw performs excellently with its laser that ensures you never miss the cutting line. It delivers accuracy and a large cutting capacity right out of the box.
The LS1019L offers the performance you need in the best Makita compound miter saw, but with a compact design for increased portability. Featuring up to 6⅝” cutting capacity, jobs like crown molding, cutting baseboards, and many others are a snap. However, with up to 4-¾” baseboard capacity, this unit can cut a 4 x 4-dimensional lumber in a pass.
Therefore, this product is ideal for carpentry, general construction, woodworking, and many more. Not forgetting that it’s powered with a vigorous 15 AMP motor that offers a soft start and constant power with no belts. This eminent tool’s impressing characteristic is how it miters 0 – 60 degrees left and bevels 0 – 48 degrees left and right.
Summary of the key features
- The item has an electric brake that provides added convenience.
- It has unique 2-rail sliding that offers a reduced footprint.
- It integrates the transparent blade guard system for greater visibility.
- The motor is designed for increased vertical cutting capacity.
- The unit requires less maintenance.
- It has soft starts that suppress the startup reaction.
- The aluminum base provides stability.
- It’s engineered to deliver accurate cuts.
- The motor delivers only 3200 RPM.
7. Makita XSL08PT Brushless Cordless Sliding Compound Miter Saw Kit, AWS Capable & Laser
With the Makita XSL08PT Brushless Compound Miter Saw Kit, you will get all your cutting projects done in no time. All thanks go to its rigorous brushless motor that delivers up to 4400 RPM. This power is produced by the two 5.0Ah batteries that facilitate the 175 cuts per charge.
The XSL08PT also incorporates an automatic speed change mechanism that allows you to adjust the speed and torque even under load for optimum performance. This vigorous miter saw features an auto start wireless system that utilizes Bluetooth technology to facilitate improved efficiency.
The AWS eliminates excessive noise since the dust extractor runs only when the tool is running. You can also position this saw flush against the wall using the unique two-steel rail sliding system. The XSL08PT has an innovative direct-drive gearbox and guard system engineered to increase the vertical cutting capacity.
Summary of the key features
- This item comes with two powerful LXT batteries.
- The motor runs cooler and more efficiently for longer life.
- It’s cordless, thus eliminates the hassles of cords.
- The product is also compatible with all the 36V and LXT tools.
- It has positive stops at 0, 15, 22.5, 31.6, 45, and 60 degrees on the left and right.
- It has a compact and lightweight design.
- The unit has star protection controls for efficient power management.
- It offers faster and smoother cutting.
- The electric brakes provide added convenience and safety.
- It only has five positive stops.
8. Makita LS1219L Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser
Leading by example, Makita has released their latest design of the best Makita compound miter saw with model number XSL06PT. With this product, you can never run out of power since it utilizes the x2 LXT technology to deliver more power and speed without the hassles of a cord.
Additionally, the LS1219L provides up to 65% more runtime per charge than the BL1830 model. Recharging is quick and efficient and takes only 45 minutes or less. Integrated with a bright LED charge level indicator, you can never run out of charge since it lets you continuously monitor the battery charge.
Undoubtedly, Makita LS1219L outshines the other models in the market. The reason is cause it features a robust Makita-built electronically-controlled BL motor that produces up to 4400 RPM. Thus, it facilitates faster and smoother cutting. The motor also has carbon brushes enabling it to run cooler and more efficiently.
Summary of the key features
- The battery reaches full charge in 45 minutes or less.
- The item has a powerful electronically controlled brushless motor.
- It features an LED battery charge level indicator.
- This unit uses two LXT batteries.
- It has sturdy construction to guarantee durability.
- The brushless motor eliminates the carbon brushes.
- The motor runs at up to 4400 RPM.
- You can conveniently monitor the battery charge.
- It offers 65% more run time per charge compared to BL 1830.
- The motor runs cooler and more efficiently.
- It delivers faster and smoother cuttings.
- The motor only delivers up to 4400 RPM.
Best Makita Compound Miter Saw Buyers’ Guide
As a global brand, Makita is dedicated to offering reliable and high performance with all of its tools. The company has adequately invested in quality and durability. Even though all their products are trusted, it would be best if you knew what features to contemplate before purchasing or ordering. An incredibly portable unit will work best for you since you will easily handle the most demanding jobs with less fatigue.
After reading the reviews, it’s now time to check on some of the vital aspects of consideration. Ease of use, durability, and maintenance procedures are some of the few things to consider. For this and more, kindly keep reading as you will get to know why the best Makita compound miter saw is a must to have tool. You will also have a glimpse of the safety precautions when using these units.
Why You Need the Best Makita Compound Miter Saw
- Cuts at any angle. With these tools, you can perform your cutting operations from different angles, thanks to pivoting blades. Besides, they have at least five positive stops for enhanced performance.
- Strong blades. The units have rigid and durable cutting blades that can penetrate through almost all types of wooden materials.
- Compact and lightweight. Thanks to their compact design, you can use these items for various cutting applications with less fatigue.
- Additional features. Although all the above tools are magnificent, some are way better since they feature unique characteristics like compatibility. You will also find other features like an LED bright light for illuminating the cut line.
- Accuracy. With these products, accuracy is critical. Appreciation goes to the linear ball bearing system engineered to deliver dead-on accurate cuts.
- Large cutting capacity. It would be best if you didn’t worry about the type of material you are working on. The compound miter saws above have a large cutting capacity.
- Powerful. The robust nested motor guarantees the power and ability of these saws. However, the RPM greatly depends on the motor model and the power source.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Makita Compound Miter Saw
To have productive work, you need to choose the best Makita compound miter saw with features that can make your work easier and one that offers greater versatility.
Here are some vital factors of consideration.
This should be your first feature of consideration. The reason is that not all these units employ the same power source. For instance, some utilize a cordless system, which comes with fewer hassles of the cords. They have potent batteries that provide the necessary power needed for a continuous run time for such saws. Besides, you will find some with an LED battery level indicator, which lets you monitor the charge level so you can never run out while working.
On the other hand, corded miter saws tend to preserve their dominance by providing a continuous power supply without low battery indication worries. However, the difficulties come in handy since you have to position your work table closer to a power outlet. After all, you have two options to choose from.
The motor acts as the heart of your machine. Therefore, you need to go for a rugged motor that can withstand any workpiece type without straining. The performance of this feature is determined by the ampere rating, which measures the power. This means that higher AMPs motors have more cutting power than the lower ones.
The most preferred models are brushless motors. They eliminate the need for carbon brushes, enabling the motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life. These motor types are electronically controlled and deliver high RPMs for faster and smoother cutting.
- Blade material and size
The blade size is a vital factor of consideration when selecting a compound miter saw. This feature determines the cutting capacity of your machine. The standard blade size includes 8”, 10”, and 12”. You should keep in mind that larger diameter blades can make longer cuts. Besides, don’t forget to consider the blades’ material. The reason is that not all blade types are ideal for all wood types. Therefore, choose a unit depending on your project’s requirement.
- Cuts per charge
The power source greatly influences the cutting ability and capacity, which determines the cuts per charge, especially on cordless units. The saws which employ the x2 LXT technology have the affinity of delivering the most cuts per charge. However, this depends on the material type. For instance, the Makita XSL06Z delivers up to 334 cuts per charge in 2 x 4 SPF and 192 cuts per charge in 2 x 12 SPF lumber.
- Positive stops
You might not be thinking about this, but the positive stops play a crucial role in the miter saw’s overall performance. The positive stops are factory setpoints that allow you to make precise cuts on the chosen angle effectively. If your unit has more positive stops, you rest assured of decreased time needed to set up cuts. Even more, you will get some saws that feature thumb-activated stops to facilitate quick adjustments.
The most common positive stops include 0, 15, 22.5, 31.6, 45, and 50 degrees. I also recommend choosing a saw which miters 0 – 50 degrees left and 0 – 60 degrees right to have a convenient working time.
- Depth stop
Why do guesswork determine the cutting depth, yet you can choose a machine with a depth stop? This feature lets you adjust the blade’s height to control how deep it cuts into the workpiece.
- Blade changing
You need to be ready for your next project at all times. This means that all activities about setups must be straightforward, and this includes blade changing. Your unit needs to have a shaft lock or spindle to immobilize the shaft, making it much easier for blade changes.
- Dust collection
A clean workshop provides the necessary ambiance for working and high productivity. Therefore, you need to get a miter saw with an integrated dust collection port to ensure no sawdust fills the air. You will find some with dust bags that mount directly to the saw. The dust is very harmful, especially if it gets into your eyes. Therefore, invest in a unit with an integrated dust collection system.
- Steel rail sliding system
Have you been facing difficulties when working in confined areas? Worry not, since some of the Makita compound miter saws above come with a unique two-steel rail sliding system engineered to offer single slide glide operation. This helps in reducing the saw’s footprint and allows you to operate flush against the wall.
This is yet another feature to consider. It is facilitated by the compact and lightweight design of the specific unit. And since each model features unique parts, it’s important to consider the total weight to facilitate job site portability.
- Sliding and flip fences
The sliding flip and fences provide added support when dealing with taller workpieces for standard miter cuts. Furthermore, you can slide or flip them out of the way when making bevel cuts or supporting longer stocks.
As usual, additional features naturally complement the tool’s performance. For this case, you can take advantage of a miter saw with laser guides and guide light that illuminates the cutting path. This allows you to guide all your cuts accurately. Another additional feature is the auto-start wireless system (AWS). This feature utilizes Bluetooth technology for wireless power on/off communication between the optional dust extractor and the tool. However, the AWS is sold separately.
Compatability is another crucial characteristic of these products. It allows you to use your miter saw with other compatible saws’ depending on the specification and model.
Safety Features and Precautions
Safety is paramount in any workshop to avoid fatal or unintentional accidents. For the best Makita Compound Miter Saw, this is what you get.
Below are some of the safety features and precautions.
- Electric brake
The electric brake provides added convenience to the machine. It reverses the electricity flow in the motor after you release the trigger. This process stops the blade momentum; thus, it comes to a sudden stop. The electric brake stops the blade in as little as two seconds, faster than a blade on a saw without the electric blade.
Lighter tools are more convenient to have in your workshop. You can use them from any position, be it horizontally or vertically. Additionally, you can work a whole day long with less fatigue. Therefore, I recommend choosing a compact and lightweight miter saw but with all the incredible features.
Makita tools are reliable and offer great performance. However, this does not mean they retail at the same price. You should know that price varies depending on the integrated features of the specific model.
- Blade guard
The rotating blade can cause server accidents if no safety precaution is in place. For this reason, Makitas’ manufacturers installed articulated blade guards. When you raise the saw, the guard lowers to cover the blade for enhanced protection. It also helps in keeping the guard clear. The blade guard is also transparent to allow for greater visibility of the blade and line of cut.
- Direct drive gearbox
Unlike other motor types, the Makita compound saw miters are equipped with a direct-drive motor. This provides smoother startups and constant power with no belts to slip or replace. The gearbox is ruggedly built to protect the machine from heating up or jamming due to current overload.
- Unique steel rail
Your saw is well protected even when working on confined areas like near the wall. The appreciation goes to the 2-steel rail sliding system that offers a single glide operation. This helps in reducing the saws’ footprint and allowing for operation flush against a wall.
All the above tools are a complete justification that Makita is a leading company in power tools production. This upholds its reputation of producing robust and precise best Makita compound miter saw. The tools are ideal for woodworkers, artisans, DIYers, and other professionals looking for a compact, versatile, and affordable compound miter saw.
After going through the above reviews, guide, and safety features, I hope you are now ready to hit the market and get your workshop a brand new cutting machine. Personally, the Makita LS0815F Slide Compound Miter Saw left me with no other option. Apart from its compound and lightweight design, this eminent tool has a robust motor that can handle even the most demanding tasks.