If you are a woodworker, like a carpenter or an enthusiast, then you are likely aware that we have so many tools that are a significant part of a woodworking station. One such tool is a wood lathe, which helps in the shaping of wood.
There are several types and brands of wood lathes. Besides, they vary in size. So if you are shopping for one, for instance, which you should buy? In this article, we have reviewed only the very best full size wood lathe that you can find on the market today.
Here’s the list of our best full size wood lathes:
1. Jet JWL-1440VSK Wood Lathe
The company, Jet, does not need an introduction. Does it? Their product, the Jet JWL-1440VSK Wood Lathe is the best full size wood lathe that you can acquire today. Jet produces some of the best tools, and this one is the embodiment of their excellent work.
If you are looking at this device with the design in mind, then it is the best, especially its sliding headstock. It allows you to obtain up to 7 distinct locking placements at 270, 180, 120, 90, 60, 30, and 0 degrees. These placements allow for comfort as well as the flexibility of the woodturner.
This item comes with a base crafted from a cast iron, which plays an essential role in promoting its durability. The cast offer this tool protection from any kind of impact that might affect it in any way.
When it comes to speed, this item gives you one of the speed variables of 400-3000RPM, just what you’d want in a wood lathe. This variation allows you to shape your wood in a smooth manner possible.
Its locking system is impressive as it gives you the very best clamps. One final thing about this tool is that it has a tailstock with an anti-rotation key. The anti-rotation key enables the components to stay in place by holding the spindle safely so that the wood can turn with uniformity.
The Summary of Top Features
- It has a sliding headstock that pivots 360 degrees with 7 locking positions for user’s comfort.
- Has a variable speed of 400-3000 RPM which brings a lot of flexibility
- The device comes with improved tailstock quill locking that has an anti-rotation key.
- It has optional extension bed mounts in 3 different positions that allow for more extensive outboard turning
- The tool has an optional extension bed
- Its sliding headstock can pivot 360 degrees
- This device is too much for the price.
- It does not have a reverse rotation.
2. Grizzly Industrial GO462 Wood Lathe
This machine is the best full size wood lathe for the beginners. If you are looking for a less complicated too that is considerably affordable, then you should go for the Grizzly’s GO462.
In this product, you get two powerful motors that produce a top speed of up to 2400 rpm, which is sufficient when it comes to carving, drilling, and doing other types of wood-crafting projects.
It is capable of swinging 16-inches from the bed. Besides, it comes with a tachometer bearing a digital readout- this makes the switching of speeds from 600 rpm to 2400 rpm easy as you can tell the variations in the speed.
If you are looking to alter or change the orientation of the outboard, you will find it effortless. All you need to do is to unfasten the headstock, spin it until you achieve your desired angle.
Other than it’s remarkable functionality, the product has cast-iron. The iron, which is a more robust metal, adds the much-needed durability to the machine as it offers extra protection.
Much as there is vibration when the machine is operational, it does not hamper the functionality of the tool because the iron adds extra weight to the device, which makes it stable.
The Summary of Top Features
- This tool has two powerful motors that provide high accuracy as well as rotational speed for all woodworking types.
- It comes with exceptional levels of precision thanks to its two high powered motors that offer it enough torque.
- It is an extremely versatile tool that you can get on the market today.
- It’s a powerful tool thanks to its two motors.
- The tool is excellent for beginners
- It’s affordable
- It vibrates a lot
3. Jet JWL-1015 Wood Working Lathe
Are you working on a budget and need a tool that will not send you deep into your pockets? If so, you need this tool, Jet JWL-1015 Wood Working Lathe; It will give you all the services you can look for in a full size wood lathe at relatively low prices compared to its peers.
What’s impressive about these tools is that it comes with an advanced setting system that allows you to put the items you are working on in 24 orientations. Therefore, it gives you many positional options for your woodworking projects.
Speed-wise, this tool comes with 6 spindle speed options, like 500, 840, 1200, with a top speed of 3975. This high-speed output allows the device to work on virtually all wood materials. Besides, this device has 15.5 centers that provide great drilling, sanding, and any possible type of carpentry work.
One component of this tool that we must not fail to mention is its bigger bed that contains all your working materials and prevent them from wobbling to give you excellent user experience. Furthermore, this tool has a more reliable tensioning system that allows for effortless access to the belt of the machine for smooth working experience.
The Summary of Top Features
- It gives you better control and precision so that the beginners in woodworking can learn to control the torque and speed of the machines.
- Its motor comes with excellent torque, which varies from 500 to 3975 RPM.
- The advanced positioning system allows you to carry out woodworks on varied positions and orientations.
- The tool comes with more extensive beds that reduce the wobbling.
- It’s affordable
- Easy even on beginners in woodworking
- Comes with advanced settings
- Complaints by the users over customers care.
4. Powermatic 1352001 Model 3520B 20×35-Inch Wood Lathe with RPM Digital Readout
Powermatic has been a reliable maker of top-notch wood-crafting tools and their accessories for several years nows. One thing for sure is that this tool wouldn’t let you down; the speed and power make it the best full size wood lathe on the market today.
The product comes with a potent motor with 22 volts and generates up to 2-horsepower; this is more than all you need for virtually all kinds of wood-crafting projects, such as carving, drilling, and a lot more. Furthermore, the motors come with advanced options that enable you to control the rotation. You get the freedom to choose the right speed for control plus precision.
One more thing about this tool is the availability of a digital readout system. This system lets you observe and regulate the speed that will serve your ongoing project. Considering that you will be working on different wood materials, being in a position to monitor the speed through the digital readout will be great.
When it comes to durability, this machine is one that will serve you for years. It has a solid and damage-resistant cast-iron that offer it extra protection. If you want something worth spending your money on, then this is the wood lathe for you.
Finally, vibration is not an issue when you are working with this tool, thanks to the fact that it is heavy.
The Summary of Top Features
- This device guarantees you a sturdy and durable structure, which enhances the smooth working of your wood projects.
- Its headstock has a provision for users to change speed and orientation as per individual preferences.
- The motor of this woodworking tool generates up to 2HP, which allows you to work on several types of wood projects with precision.
- This power tool comes with a sturdy and lasting design that withstands damage, corrosion to ensure extended durability of the machine.
- The device comes with a newly designed headstock that let the users control its speed.
- It gives you the room to alter the orientation of the project improved results.
- It has electronic variable speed
- This device comes with a massive swing
- Its pricing is excellent for the quality you get
- It does not have so many shortcomings except maybe for it’s fixed height.
5. Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe With Cast Iron Legs And Digital Readout
It’s hard to come to terms that we have not listed this project at the very top of our list of best full size wood lathe. What’s even better is its price, this power tool is worth every penny, and you will be doing yourself a favor by getting it.
This tool gives you the easiest way of changing the orientation as well as the speed in your woodworking projects. The machine has a quick-lock, it releases levers on the headstock and tailstock that let you give a complete rotation of your material.
It comes with flexible, easy to use levers that give you a wide range of speed which extends from 600 up to 2400 revolution every minute.
When you buy this tool, you will be getting a 2 horsepower, a single-phase 110V motor that gives you an excellent torque for your tasks. In short, this power tool will provide you with a total of 2400 revolution per minute, which is considered excellent. The high resolution will enable you to drill, sand, and carve any material that you are handling.
Overall, this tool comes with all the necessary accessories like 6-inch faceplate, live center, and spur, etc. It saves you the cost of buying them separately.
The Summary of Top Features
- It has a cast-iron, which is a durable material; this plays an essential role in ensuring the durability of the tool.
- This tool is created to facilitate smooth and efficient working.
- Its powerful motor of 2-HP offers you sufficient torque to work with the hardest material possible.
- It comes with sturdy legs, which enhances tool stability, especially when it is vibrating.
- When you buy it, you get all the necessary accessories, which make it easy to set up your tool for work.
- Its cast-iron legs and bed improve its durability.
- The device is excellent for a beginner as well as intermediate turners.
- It’s hard to beat the price.
- Has no reverse rotation
Best Full Size Wood Lathe Buyer’s Guide
If you are out in the market for the full size wood lathe, then you must be aware that you will have to spend hundreds of dollars. And that’s why we encourage that you just dont settle for any product.
There are a few things that you need to put under consideration for you to get the very best full size wood lathe for your woodworking projects. In this buyer’s guide, we have conclusively discussed some of the factors that you need to consider. They include:
The Design of the Machine
A full-size wood lathe, which will always experience high vibrations, for example, should always have heavy components like cast iron for improved stability. The stability helps hold your device together during the turning and vibrations. Considering that woodworking projects would need so much precision, balance plays a crucial role in ensuring perfect cuts, and that’s why you must get a tool with the most suitable design.
So as far as we are talking about the design, we encourage that you go for wood lathes that are heavier and not the light ones; in fact, heavy ones tend to last longer, which will prove to be a good investment in the long run.
Another thing that you need to pay attention to is the height of the lathe; you should ensure that the heigh of the lathes corresponds to that of your elbows. You will struggle to use a machine that is too tall, the same applied to a shorter one.
The Speed of the Motor
Most of the wood lathes that you are going to interact with are likely to have a speed range of between 300-5000 RPM. Therefore, it should be evident that lathes with high speeds are more powerful compared to the ones with less speed. It will help you spin an increased number of woods in a short time.
If you are going to work on more significant wood objects, then you will understand that it is vital to get a headstock capable of rotating to bigger degrees and far from the bed base.
What makes this important is that it will allow you to access the toolrest while with sufficient for the bigger object.
You must be aware that if you are turning a piece of wood, then it should be kept in a place where it gets a uniform rotation so that you can end up with the best product possible. A tailstock, which is a pin-like structure, is responsible for maintaining even and uniform rotation of your objects.
For the best results possible, you need to pin both the bed and the tailstock tightly.
The Tool Rest
Your tools need a toolrest to offer support as well as for safety reasons. Furthermore, you must be in a position to adjust it so that it can accommodate the wood close to the tool.
If you have plans of spinning bigger objects, then you must put more than 2 interchangeable tool rests. This action allows for more space for shaping your items.
Watch the video below on how to use a wood lathe:
Frequently Asked Questions
When is it Necessary to Use a Lathe Machine?
In most cases, the lathes are essential when it comes to the production of cylindrical objects. Lathes work on the exterior parts of the project. However, you can use them on internal projects as well.
What Materials Can a Lathe Machine Handle?
A lathe can handle virtually all types of materials provided the material is not tougher than the machine itself.
Wood lathes are a vital part of a woodworking workshop; they help with the cutting and shaping of different materials. If you are in the market for one, ensure that you settle for the best full size wood lathe.
Our best product for those looking to buy the full size wood lathe option is Jet JWL-1440VSK Wood Lathe. Much as this product might be pricey, it will do quality work for several years, which in the end will be a good investment.
We’ve only reviewed the very best products in the market, which we believe will serve you right. We’ve also included a buyer’s guide to help you make an informed decision.
Having read this article, kindly share with us your thoughts about the product plus your experience using any of the tools. Meanwhile, have the best shopping adventure!