Woodworking has been a hobby to many DIYers and contractors since the era of the early man. Today, it’s a profession to many, and it’s been taught even in universities and other technical institutes. For exterior woodworking projects, you need a durable and robust sealer to withstand most of the inhibiting factors. The best sealer for redwood fence will be an excellent remedy for all your fence, siding, and decking projects.
This product penetrates deep into the wood grain to seal all the open pores. Thus, preventing dangerous UV rays, snow, or rain from damaging the wood’s surface. It also protects the wood from mildew and the growth of molds. The best part of its characteristics is its exceptional protection while maintaining the natural beauty by highlighting the wood’s grains.
Read on to find more about these unique products.
Best Sealer for Redwood Fence Comparison Table
|Ready Seal 520 Exterior Stain and Sealer for Wood, 5-Gallon, Redwood||Buy On Amazon|
|Wood Defender Transparent Fence Stain REDWOOD 5-gallon||Buy On Amazon|
|Olympic Stain 56504-5 Maximum Wood Stain and Sealer, 5 Gallons, Transparent Stain, Redwood Naturaltone||Buy On Amazon|
|STORM SYSTEM Storm Protector Penetrating Sealer & Stain Protector - Deck Protector, Fence Protector, Mahogany Stain, Redwood Stain - 291113-1 Gallon, Pacific Redwood||Buy On Amazon|
|Clear Timber Oil||Buy On Amazon|
|THOMPSONS WATERSEAL TH.041851-16 Transparent Waterproofing Stain, Woodland Cedar||Buy On Amazon|
|KILZ L832111 Exterior Waterproofing Wood Stain, Semi-Transparent, Cedar, 1-Gallon, 1 Gallon, 4 l||Buy On Amazon|
|Flood 10273521157 CWF-UV Penetrating Wood Finish for Decks, Fences, and Siding, Redwood, 1 gal||Buy On Amazon|
Best Sealer for Redwood Fence Buyers’ Guide
Every professional, DIYer, or woodworking enthusiast will prefer choosing the best sealer for redwood fence for all outdoor projects. These products offer reliable protection to the wood surface by penetrating deep into the wood grains. The sealers also maintain the natural beauty of the wood surface.
However, these stains are available in various formulations that vary depending on the manufacturer. A detailed buyers guide is what you need before making your next purchase. If you continue reading, you will get all the important factors you should contemplate before choosing a redwood fence sealer. You will also get to know why you need these products for your decks, sidings, and, most importantly, fences.
Why You Need the Best Sealer for Redwood Fence
- Easy application methods. Applying these sealers is a walk in the park since you can choose to use a sprayer, roller, or brush.
- Highlights wood grain. These products ensure that your wood’s surface retains its natural beauty by highlighting the wood grains.
- Protection. With these stains, your wood’s surface is protected against water, damaging UV rays, mildew, and other inhibitors.
- Durable. Durability on these sealers is paramount due to the incorporation of unique formulations.
- Large area coverage. You will always have a large coverage area since these sealers do not require the application of numerous coats.
- Different colors. The products are available in distinguished colors, and this depends on the model.
- Warranty. With these sealers, you will enjoy different warranty limits depending on the application’s surface, either decks or fences and sidings.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Sealer for Redwood
- Application methods
It is vital to consider the method you will use for the application before purchasing these products. Some available methods include the use of a sprayer, brush, or roller. Using a sprayer tends to be easier among these methods because you can easily spray even the hard to reach areas like corners.
An excellent exterior wood stain offers long-lasting protection, waterproofing, and mildew resistance. It should withstand all the other natural conditions like intense sunlight with damaging UV rays, among others. Therefore, you should consider checking on the warranty status since they differ from one product to another.
The composition of these products is paramount. It’s the one that determines the durability and resistance to mother nature. For instance, a sealer with 100% acrylic formula protects the wood from rain, snow, and sun damage. There are other compositions like oil or water-based stains.
- Application procedure
This is yet another crucial factor to contemplate. Not all of these sealers have the same application procedures. You will find some that will require you first to clean up the application surface, especially pre-painted or stained surfaces. On the other hand, other sealers are ideal for application, even on the painted surfaces.
- Area coverage
Choose a sealer depending on your project’s demand. The reason is that not all these products have the same area coverage. It’s vital to remember that the application method you employ and the number of coats also determine your sealer’s area coverage.
- Drying period
How first do you want your project done? With this in mind, go for a redwood fence with a first or slow drying time, depending on your project’s demand.
Because these products are available in different colors, go for the one that will match your environment to bring out that beauty in your home.
The style also matters a lot. There are two main styles, including transparent and semi transparent. I will recommend that you go for the semitransparent style. The reason is that apart from protecting your wood surface from inhibiting factors, it will also highlight the wood grain to maintain that natural beauty of your wood.
How much do you plan to spend on your redwood fence? This question should always run in your mind while making a purchasing decision. Not all manufacturers charge the same retail price. The price ranges due to the strength, drying period, and durability of the particular stain or sealer.
Therefore, go for the one that best fits your budget. However, it would help if you remembered that the cheaper ones would have less reliability than expensive ones.
- The safety precautions
Since these products are chemical formulations, always remember to wear safety gloves when applying. In case of contact with your hands or eyes, simply wash with soap and water. However, if irritation persists, visit your nearest doctor.
Best Sealer for Redwood Fence Product Reviews
In this section, I’ll look at individual products, the summary of their top features, advantages as well as the disadvantages that comes with using these products. Keep reading for more…
1. Ready Seal 520 Exterior Stain and Sealer for Wood
Ready Seal is a leading producer of exterior stain and sealer for wood. They have now released a formulation with part number 520 ideal as the best sealer for redwood fence. This product highlights the wood’s natural beauty, allowing the grain and texture of the wood to remain visible.
The ready seal 520 is an oil-based, semi transparent stain and sealer in one. Thus, it’s ideal for all your exterior wood projects. The product has an exceptional formulation that penetrates deeply into the wood grains to preserve and protect the wood from inhibiting elements such as mildew, mold, and damaging UV rays.
A unique characteristic of this sealer is the way it does not require any primer. It’s darkest when first applied but reaches its actual color after approximately 14 days. However, it’s advisable not to apply this sealer over painted surfaces or newly stained surfaces since the sealed surfaces inhibit the penetration into the wood grain.
Summary of the key features
- The product requires no primer.
- It may be applied using a sprayer, roller, or brush.
- The item requires no back brushing, and it never leaves runs, streaks, or laps.
- This sealer requires no wet line application.
- It’s an oil-based semi transparent stain and sealer in one.
- It requires no diluting or thinning before spraying.
- The product self blends to the wood surface.
- You can make the application at any temperature.
- It only takes between 48 and 72 hours to dry.
- The sealer is not ideal for application on painted surfaces.
2. Wood Defender Transparent Fence Stain REDWOOD
Undoubtedly, Wood Defender Transparent Fence Stain REDWOOD is the contractor’s choice. The sealer comes in a 5-gallon container. Thus, it has comprehensive area coverage. This product utilizes ultra-fine trans oxide pigments that highlight and reveals all of the wood grains while protecting the surface from extreme conditions.
The trans oxide pigments have a very high resistance to UV rays. Therefore, it prolongs the woods’ life. If you strive to highlight and glorify your wood’s existing beauty, worry not because this stain is transparent and commonly desired on fresh cedar or redwood.
Additionally, this product is backed up with a 2-year guarantee on all your woodworking projects. It has easy application methods, and you can take advantage of the provided application instructions, especially if you are an amateur.
Summary of the key features
- The stain utilizes ultra-fine trans oxide pigments to highlight the wood grain.
- It has a transparent appearance that reveals all the wood grains.
- This sealer comes in a 5-gallon container ideal for large jobs.
- It’s formulated with a revolutionary climate formula.
- The sealer penetrates deep into the wood to offer protection from inhibitors.
- It has easy application methods.
- It’s backed with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- The trans oxide pigments are resistant to UV rays.
- The sealer is ideal on a fresh cedar or redwood fence.
- It only has a 2-year warranty.
3. Olympic Stain 56504-5 Maximum Wood Stain and Sealer
Protect and beautify your woodworks in one step using the Olympic Stain 56504-5 Maximum Wood Stain and Sealer. You can use this stain on exterior vertical and horizontal surfaces. The 56504-5 provides enhanced sunblock UV defense and waterproofing to protect, condition, and strengthen wood fibers. This ensures that the wood’s natural beauty lasts.
What’s so unique about this product is its specific formulation that lets you stain whenever you want despite its rainy, sunny, or cold and still get the same excellent results. With this sealer, you can clean and stain your wood on the very day, even after rain. Besides, the stain becomes rain-ready after waiting for only eight hours.
However, if the surface is too hot, it’s recommended to mist it before applying the stain. The application methods are straightforward. You only need to use either a deck cleaner, brush, roller, or sprayer. It has enhanced waterproofing protection that ensures your wood is protected from cracking due to water.
Summary of the key features
- This product can stain and seal simultaneously.
- It’s a weather ready sealer since you can apply under any condition.
- It has an enhanced waterproofing formulation.
- The application methods include the use of a roller, sprayer, or brush.
- The stain is rain-ready after just eight hours.
- The product ensures the wood’s natural beauty lasts.
- The application procedures are in three simple steps.
- It offers sunblock defense to strengthen the wood fibers.
- You cannot directly apply when it’s too hot to touch.
4. STORM SYSTEM Penetrating Sealer & Stain Protector Fence Protector,- 291113
Get a long-lasting beauty for your redwood fence with the STORM SYSTEM Penetrating Sealer & Stain Protector Fence Protector,- 291113. The stain is designed to stand up to whatever comes down. It doesn’t matter whether it’s months of baking sunlight with damaging UV rays, endless rain, or brutal winter.
The 291113 is oil-based and has a semi transparent appearance to protect and enhance your wood’s natural beauty. Besides, it’s compatible with any wood species, including mahogany, pinewood, Douglas, redwood, and many more.
You can use this product as a wood fence protector or any other wood substrate protector. The application method is effortless, and it includes the use of a roller, brush, or sprayer. What’s best about this sealer is that it leaves no laps after application.
Summary of the key features
- It’s a semi transparent product that penetrates deep for added protection.
- The stain is compatible with any wood species.
- It’s an oil-based sealer meant to protect and highlight the wood’s natural beauty.
- The product has trans oxide pigmentation for UV protection.
- It covers 125 to 175 sq. ft per gallon for smooth surfaces and 100 to 150 sq. ft per gallon for rough surfaces.
- It offers a lap free application.
- It’s suitable for many wood substrates.
- The stain has easy application methods.
- It protects against mother nature.
- You can match this sealer with other colors.
- Color matching is only done during the daytime.
5. Timber Oil Deep Penetrating Stain for Wood Decks, Wood Fences, 10TO
As the best sealer for redwood fence, the Timber Oil Deep Penetrating Stain for Wood Decks, Wood Fences, 10TO comes in a warm honey-gold color. It’s packed in a 5-gallon capacity container. Therefore, it has an extensive area coverage of approximately 750 square feet of your wood.
This stain is extremely easy to apply and maintain. It gives you a flawless finish without the risk of overlaps or runs. Besides, you can apply this sealer without stripping the previous application. You can also apply on new wood with no need of letting the wood weather out. The product is perfect for spray application using a pump-up garden sprayer or any other spraying method.
Your wood’s natural appearance is safe with this sealer, thanks to the transparent oxide pigments that provide a rich natural finish. The 10TO manufacturers removed the doubt in you by providing sample color kits to test the available colors before purchasing your order.
Summary of the key features
- You can apply this product to a previous application without stripping.
- It’s ideal for new wood, and you don’t have to wait for it to rust.
- It has transparent oxide pigments that provide a rich finish.
- You are provided with sample kits to test color before purchasing.
- It has an extensive area coverage of approximately 750 square feet.
- The sealer highlights the wood’s grain.
- It’s ideal for spray application.
- The stain is suitable for use by both professionals and amateurs.
- It does not overlap or leave drip marks.
- The most suitable application method is by spraying.
6. THOMPSONS WATERSEAL TH.041851-16 Transparent Waterproofing Stain
Since the early 1920s, THOMPSONS has produced the ultimate formula that protected buildings from exterior water damage. The manufacturers have now developed a new waterproofing stain with part number 041851-16 that is transparent and provides complete outdoor wood protection.
This product has a unique formulation that lets it waterproof longer after the initial water beading. Apart from being transparent, the 041851-16 comes in various colors to choose from, including acorn brown, harvest gold, woodland cedar, maple brown, and sequoia red.
The THOMPSONS WATERSEAL is also integrated with advanced polymers that provide a fade-resistant color to prolong its usage. Additionally, the final coating of this sealer resists mildew and UV damage. The application method and procedure are relatively easy, and you can apply it to freshly cleaned damp or dry wood.
Summary of the key features
- It exceeds the industrial standard ASTM D-4446 for waterproofing wood.
- The sealer has advanced polymers that provide fade-resistant color.
- You can apply it to dry wood or freshly cleaned damp.
- The coating resists mildew and UV damage.
- It prevents water damage.
- The stain is available in many colors.
- It has a transparent appearance.
- It dries faster
- The stain only waterproofs long after the initial water beading is gone.
7. KILZ L832211 Exterior Waterproofing Wood Stain, Semi-Transparent, Redwood
KILZ L832211 Exterior Waterproofing Wood Stain has an answer to beautify your home. This stain provides durable waterproof protection to all redwood materials and more. It also has a mildew-resistant finish to maintain your wood’s integrity and beauty in variable outdoor conditions.
The application requires two coatings where one gallon covers up to 250 sq. ft for the first coat and approximately 500 sq. ft for the second. Besides using it as the best sealer for redwood fence, you can also use the L832211 for decks, siding, and more. The product is ideal for use on properly prepared new to moderately weathered surfaces. Furthermore, you can use it for unsealed exterior wood surfaces.
What’s more about this sealer is the acrylic formula that protects wood from weather and UV damage. This provides guaranteed durability backed up with up to 3 years warranty on decks and up to 5 years on fences and siding. However, to get the best results, allow the area to dry at least 24 hours before coating.
Summary of the key features
- It has a comprehensive area coverage of 250 sq. ft for the first coat and up to 500 sq. ft for the second coat.
- The sealer has a 100% acrylic formula for protection against mother nature.
- You get the best result when you leave it to dry for 24 hours before coating.
- It’s easy to clean up with water.
- The stain has guaranteed durability.
- It has up to 24 hours drying period.
8. Flood 10273521157 CWF-UV Penetrating Wood Finish, Redwood
With an acrylic/oil resin, Flood 10273521157 CWF-UV Penetrating Wood Finish assures the durability of acrylic and richness of penetrating alkyd on your wood’s surface. It’s fortified with penetrol additives for driving protection into the wood grains.
The finished surface is mildew resistant and easy to clean with soap and water. Furthermore, the 10273521157 also highlights the wood’s grain to maintain its natural beauty while offering protection. Even more, this sealer is water repellent, and it comes in a 1-gallon container. Therefore, it has extensive area coverage.
The CWF-UV is designed to provide long term use on most outdoor woodworking projects. This comes in hand with up to a 4-year warranty on fences and sidings and up to 2 years on decks. For application purposes, you have the liberty to choose which method suits you best from either using a sprayer, brush, or roller.
Summary of the key features
- The sealer is water repellent.
- The final finish resists mildew and penetrates deep to protect against moisture and sun damage.
- It’s effortless to clean with soap and water.
- This sealer is fortified with penetrol additive.
- It has an acrylic/oil resin that provides durability.
- It comes in a one-gallon container.
- The stain highlights the wood grain.
- It’s suitable for decks, sidings, and fences.
- It protects the wood’s surface from sun and water damage.
- This product only has a two-year warranty on decks.
We have just seen how beneficial the best sealer for redwood fence is to most exterior woodworking applications, particularly fencing. Apart from just offering protection against the inhibiting factors, we have seen that the sealers also maintain the wood’s natural beauty by highlighting the wood’s grains.
So which product did I settle for among this top tier list? Well, it had to be the Ready Seal 520 Exterior Stain and Sealer for Wood. The reason is that it has a more extensive area coverage, easy application methods, and procedures, among other incredible features. With the provided guide and reviews in this article, I hope it will be easier for you the next time you go shopping. I wish you a happy shopping time.