If you are going to paint for the first time, you should not worry or panic for lack of experience. Painting is one of the easiest things to do in woodworking. I’ve always looked at it more as a fun activity than work. You probably too should adopt the mentality. Suppose you are painting your exterior wooden stricture. In that case, you should ensure that you have the best paint for outdoor wood furniture, they decorate and protect your structures against destructive elements such as rain and sunlight.
Choosing the perfect formula for your quest can be another headache, especially if you are doing it for the first time, or you’d like to change the paints, and you are quite not sure of the product to use next. Again, I’d like to tell you not to worry because I’ve reviewed some of the best paints in the market that will give you the best results possible on your outdoor wood furniture.
Additionally, I’ve provided a buyer’s guide with all the necessary information and factors that you should consider before shopping for your outdoor paint formula.
List of The Best Paint for Outdoor Wood Furniture
1. Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Latex
If you are looking for versatility in paint, then go for the Rust-Oleum’s Painter’s Touch latex-based paint, this formula has endless usage, and that’s why I rate it as the best paint for outdoor furniture.
If you choose to use it on your interior projects, it will perform perfectly on your furniture and other structures. The same is the case if you are working on outdoor structures, perfection everywhere.
This formula gives you a beautiful glossy finish that you can apply on other surfaces that are not necessarily wooden. Other surfaces that you can apply this formula include glass, metal, ceramic, plaster, and canvas. If you are going to apply the formula to a surface, ensure that it does not experience foot traffic.
The Painter’s Touch comes with a “double cover” technology, meaning that your finish will not experience constant wear, tear, and chipping. This formula offers your outdoor structures a fresh, clean look and replenishes the worn-out surfaces. What’s impressive about this formula is that it needs just a single coat or two to get the job done.
Another feature of this formula that is worth mentioning is the fact that it comes with low odor. It is safe, and you can easily clean it using water and soap.
You don’t need sanding if you are applying it to hard surfaces such as metals. It is a fast-drying formula that becomes ready for a repaint in just 30 minutes.
The Summary of Top Features
- You can use this formula on a variety of surfaces on both indoors and outdoor environments such as wood, plaster, metal, unglazed ceramic and masonry
- It is a water-based acrylic formula with low odor, resists chipping, peeling, and can last over an extended duration.
- The formula has impressive coverage of up to 120 sq ft and takes just about 30 minutes to dry to touch allowing you to complete projects very fast
- It cures into a flat finish which helps minimize the imperfections that occur on the surface hence offering an excellent base
- Before applying this formula to wooden surfaces ensure that you sand it using a 180/200 grit sandpaper, follow that by washing using a degreaser, let your surface dry then apply the paint
- You can use the formula on both interior and exterior surfaces
- It dries faster
- The formula comes with an easy application process
- It is durable compared to most of the similar products in the market lasts longer than most other products
- Not suitable for surfaces with foot traffic
2. KILZ Exterior Siding, Fence, and Barn Paint
This paint formula is excellent for farmers, especially cows who love to lick over the painted surfaces. It is excellent for outdoor projects because it contains no VOCs that might harm your animals.
If you are looking to give your structures such as a fence, siding, and other exterior surfaces lasting protection, consider using the KILZ Exterior Siding, Fence, and Barn Paint. It will give you a lasting solution.
With this formula, you won’t have to worry about fading, to crack, peeling, and scuffing of your surfaces, at the same time, this formula will ensure a pleasant look to the surface. What’s more about this formula is that it incorporates a great water/oil base formula with so much versatility, exceptional adhesion, and assured durability regardless of the weather conditions.
You can use this paint on vertical exterior wood surfaces, stucco, masonry, and sanded glossy surface. However, you will have to carry out some preparation work before painting. You can apply this formula using a sprayer, paintbrush or roller.
This formula comes with quick drying time and takes about 2-3 hours to dry to touch. If you are looking to recoat it, wait for 6 to 8 hours.
You also need to know that this formula’s coverage differs by the porosity of the wood from up to 200 square feet per gallon if you apply it to porous surfaces. It covers 500 sq ft per gallon on smooth surfaces.
The Summary of Top Features
- The formula dries to touch within 2-3 hours
- You can apply it over many surfaces
- It does not peel, crack or chip
- It comes with a strong resistance to the weather
- The formula is self-priming
- It durable
- This paint dries faster hence saves time
- It can be uneven in case of back brushing
3. Montage Signature Interior/Exterior Eco-Friendly Paint
The Montage Signature comes with some fantastic features that make it the best paint for outdoor wood furniture. This formula is eco-friendly and does not contain any form of a pollutant, making it perfect for professional painting on the exterior and interior surfaces.
This paint comes with versatility so that you can use it on commercial buildings and small residential projects.
Suppose you are looking for paint for surfaces such as ceilings, trim, walls, and other outdoor wood furniture. Additionally, it is available in shades such as low-sheen and semi-gloss finishes.
Another impressive quality of this finish is its superior coverage plus protection. You will love this formula because it is unlike many other paint finishes that you have used before. It is a scrubbable paint that gives you a smooth and even finishes regardless of the tool you use for application or the condition of the surface.
Other great features of this formula are the ability to seal the surface against moisture, mildew, and mold.
This paint comes with a very extended warranty that extends up to 10 years, and that’s every reason you should grab this paint for your projects. It gives you quality over quantity.
The Summary of Top Features
- The formula resists moisture, mildew, etc
- It is available in shades such as low sheen and semi-gloss
- The formula is eco friendly making it perfect for both interior and exterior projects
- It is versatile hence you can use it over many different surfaces
- You can use the formula for both exterior and interior use
- The low sheen finish of this formula is available in all colors
- It offers a smooth coverage
- The formula has excellent resistance to mold and mildew
- It comes with a 10-year warranty
- It is not available in full gloss
- More coats are necessary for water-based paints
- It’s not for you if you hate pastel colors
4. KILZ Interior/Exterior Enamel Porch & Patio Latex Floor Paint
What are you looking for in the paint? Because, if you need a classic paint that has a compactable coverage on both the interior or exterior environments around your home then you should go for KILZ Interior/Exterior Paint. It is everything you’ll need for your DIY paint for woodworking projects.
You can use this formula to paint wood, masonry, non-ferrous metal, and different forms of architectural plastics. Additionally, you can apply this formula even if you are a beginner in painting.
This finish is an acrylic paint that gives the surfaces a low-luster enamel finish, has so much flawlessness, and comes with long-lasting protection and resistance to mildew. What’s more about this formula is that it can resist fading, cracking, scuffing, peeling, and different kinds of weather damages.
With one gallon of this formula, you can cover 200-300 square feet if you apply on a rough surface. If you are working with a smooth surface, then expect this formula to cover a range of 300-400 square feet per gallon.
You can use different applications such as polyester/nylon brush, a top-quality roller, or an airless sprayer.
The Summary of Top Features
- You can apply this formula over a wide variety of surfaces
- It comes with an impressive coverage of 200-300 square feet on rough surfaces and 300-400 on smooth surfaces
- The formula resists chipping, cracking flaking, etc.
- You can use it on both interior and exterior structures.
- It does not need priming
- You can apply it over several surfaces
- The formula spreads well
- It has high-quality coverage
- It has a longer drying time
5. Prestige Paints E500-T-SW7066 Exterior Paint and Primer in One
If you are looking for the best paint for outdoor wood furniture, you must consider this ultra-premium paint from Prestige Paints. This formula makes your wood project much more comfortable to complete thanks to the fact that they combined paint and primer in one product.
You will love working with this paint, mainly because it has so much to offer. It does an excellent job when it comes to restoration and giving your old and weathered wooden surfaces a new life.
The formula is easy to apply as it gives you a smooth finish with even coverage that hides imperfections, blemishes that might appear on the surfaces of your structures. This product gives you the flexibility such that you can use it on wood, stone works, masonry, cement, metal, and many other surfaces.
For you to get the very best finish on your surface, consider applying this formula using a high-quality brush, and apply two to three coats.
This paint will take about 2-3 hours for the first coat to dry to touch.
The Summary of Top Features
- The paint is high hiding formula for excellent coverage with smooth application.
- It is 100% Acrylic latex paint for easy soap and water clean-up.
- This formula offers you low VOC: less than 50 gms/L 0.42 lbs/gal.
- You can apply it over several surfaces.
- It is easy to apply
- This formula matches some Sherwin-William paints
- It masks blemishes
- It requires sanding before application in most cases
6. New York Botanical Gardens
Another best paint for outdoor wood furniture that you need to consider when buying paint for your exterior surfaces is this Prestige Paint. It offers you up to 100% acrylic latex paint and primer in one with is a high-end finish on the surfaces.
You can apply it over exterior surfaces, prepared wood, masonry, cement, siding, vinyl, aluminum, and other surfaces such as factory primed siding.
NOTE: If you are painting vinyl siding, ensure that you do not paint it with a darker color than the original siding. Darker paints may cause warping of the siding.
You need to prepare the surfaces for painting, and the steps involve the removal of dirt, mildew, grease, and any other form of dirt on the surface. If there are loose or peeling paints, ensure that you remove. For the glossy surfaces, ensure that you use a wood sanderto etch the surface.
If you are working with bare wood enure that you prime it in preparation for painting. It would be best if you prime using an oil-based primer. For a surface such as a masonry and other surfaces with cement uses a latex primer.
Follow priming with the application of the formula; before you can apply your paint, ensure that you stir it so that it can mix properly.
The Summary of Top Features
- You can spray the formula after thinning.
- It requires a temperature above 50 F (10 C) for application.
- The formula has a coverage of 400 sq. ft. (37 square meters) per gallon (3.78 L).
- It needs up to two coats for the best results.
- The formula has a faster drying time, usually 1-2 hours.
- Easy to clean using water and soap
- The formula is available in a wide variety of beautiful, appealing colors
- It is excellent for individuals living in Florida, where tropical colors are almost mandatory
- The formula is unique at hiding old colors and imperfections
- It has a low odor
- The formula is both a primer and a paint
- If you don’t like tropical color, this is not your product
7. Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover
If you are among those who prefer a simple application, you can get this formula that allows you to paint by spraying. The Rust-Oleum 249843-6 PK is the perfect choice if you need the best paint for outdoor wood furniture that you can spray. This formula is oil-based, meaning it will be best for your exterior surfaces.
The formula comes with a 2x ultra coating that gives you superior coverage, making it the best pick for the project’s faster completion.
Additionally, this formula gives you a robust and beautiful finish, the best that you can find in exterior paint.
Among other features of this formula that you will find fascinating includes its oil-based nature with low odor. The formula does not cause any form of allergies, irritation, or disturbance to your well being. Furthermore, this formula will resist chipping, flaking, peeling, and a lot more hence giving you lasting protection.
You will also find this formula easy to handle. It has a broader finger pad design that reduces hand fatigue when you are spraying.
The drying time of this formula is another impressive one as it only needs just about 20 minutes to dry to touch, and the coverage per can is approximately 12 square feet.
The Summary of Top Features
- The paint is ideal for interior/exterior surfaces such as wood, metal, plaster, masonry, and unglazed ceramic.
- It’s an oil-based formula with low odor.
- This formula can resist chips and provide long-lasting protection.
- It takes just about 20 minutes to dry to touch and covers up to 12 sq. ft. per can
- The semi-gloss finish provides a soft shine on surfaces.
- You can spray it at any angle.
- The formula is convenient to use
- It’s perfect for smaller exterior projects
- It has a faster drying
- The formula is versatile
- It’s not great for large projects
Best Paint for Outdoor Wood Furniture Buyer’s Guide
When it comes to buying paint for different projects, whether at home or for commercial purposes, money is never a problem yo many. People only hit the brick wall when it comes to the selection of the right formula.
There are many key aspects and factors that you should consider when looking dor the best paint for outdoor wood furniture. Such factors include:
- The Drying Time of the Formula
How fast does the paint you intend to buy dry? That’s one of the first questions you need to ask yourself before you can commit to the type of formula you are going to buy. A paint with fast-drying properties is always a plus, especially when working on a short timeline. Additionally, such a formula allows you to finish your job faster and possibly add the second layer of the coat as you see fit.
If you are applying a fast-drying formula to an exterior structure on a rainy day, you don’t risk your surface getting washed away by the water. Therefore, I’d encourage that you try much as you can to get paint with faster drying time.
- Area of Coverage
If you are working on large surfaces, you need a paint with a wide coverage area per gallon. So how do you get it right with the area of coverage of a formula? Well, the first thing you need to know the size of your surface. After that, see the amount of space that the finish you are looking to buy can cover and the number of coats you need for your surface. If you put all those together, you’ll be better positioned to get the formula that will be enough to cover the whole of your surface.
- Presence of VOCs
Volatile organic compounds possess so many health risks to the paint and animals, plants, and other forms of life. If you are looking to cover your wooden structure’s exterior surfaces, I’d advise that you go for formulas that contain less or no volatile organic compounds at all. With such a formula, you will be doing yourself, animals, pets, and the environment at large a great favor of not polluting it.
- The Color of the Paint
Most exterior paints are available in many colors. Coloring is a sensitive part of the painting, it gives the first impression, and to some extent, it is a measure of your creativity. If you choose a color for your outdoor structure, ensure that you buy a formula whose color will coordinate with your home. Lighter colors are best for structures that see direct sunlight, such as decks; they help reflect excess heat preventing the surface from becoming hot.
- Resistance to Environmental Elements
There are so many destructive environmental elements that might compromise the quality of your exterior surface. Sunlight has UV rays that cause discoloration and fading of wood. Water on the other causes rotting of the surface; if you are going to buy a painting formula, especially for exterior structures, ensure that it comes with enhanced protection against elements such as water and sunlight.
- Ease of Application
There are different types of paints, and they come with varying methods of application. Choose the paint that is easy to apply or rather the one that you can apply with your most comfortable method. If you have no idea how to apply paint by spraying, then don’t buy one that is only applied by such an approach. Whenever you find it easy to apply paint on your wooden structure, it’s likely that you will get it right with your application.
Watch how to paint wood on in the video below:
- The Cost/ Budget
What’s your budget? Compare your budget against the price of the formula that you are looking to buy. If you are in the market for paint, ensure that you go for a formula whose price is within your budget. I’ve seen people overspend on products that they don’t need or do not use entirely. Overspending might hurt your financial plans; therefore, you must budget and stick to it.
Painting does a lot to your wooden and other surfaces so much other than the obvious decoration. These formulas protect the surface from possible damages due to factors such as water and sunlight. So if you are going to shop for a paint finish for your exterior structure, ensure that you only buy the very best products in the market.
My overall best paint for outdoor wood furniture is Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Latex; this formula comes with complete features such as protection, beauty, and ease of application to your surfaces.
Did you find this post helpful? Do you have a question, opinion, or suggestion regarding this post? Kindly share it with me in the comment section below.