Have you ever wondered how wood specialists in the modern wood industry obtain smooth tender to touch finishings? Do you wish to avoid scratches on your workpiece? Then you have to choose the best random orbital sander.
This tool is ideal for surface preparations before and after painting. It operates with the principle of vibrating in tiny circles. With the help of its ball bearing mechanism- This sander is capable of giving you an ultra-smooth finish.
You can use this device on several materials. The appreciation goes to its variable speed control dial. This system gives you full control of your machine- You do this by selecting the amount of speed you want to work with different materials.
However, choosing sometimes becomes a problem, especially with the number of designs in the market. With me today is a list of ten best random orbital sanders reviews and buyers’ guide.
Read on to find out.
List of The Best Random Orbital Sander
1. Bosch 120-V 6-Inch Random Orbit Sander/Polisher with Vibration Control ROS65VC-6
The Bosch 120-v 6-inch random orbit sander features a vibration control system- This protects the gripping area from tremor while working. It also ensures that the tool transfers all energy to the bottom.
Additionally, this sander has two dust collection systems- This includes the microfilter dust canister with an integrated paper filter and an easy to screw off cap. It’s capable of collecting dust as small as ½ micron in diameter.
Secondly, it also has a vacuum hose connection that sucks all dust away while you work. The Bosch ROS65VC sander is versatile. Thus ensures that you remove all the stock for a well-blended finish. Adding to its versatility is the integral pad dampening braking system. The custom diminishes all the swirl marks.
Summary of the top features
- The Bosch random sander features two dust collection systems. The tubular dust canister and the VAC024 vacuum hose adapter that ensures you keep your working area clean.
- It has a robust 3.3 amp motor that powers it.
- A vibration control system that ensures no vibration reaches the gripping area.
- The greaseless pad-damping braking system helps you prevent swirl marks.
- Vibration control system.
- Variable speed style.
- It has two dust collection methods.
- It provides a smooth well-blended finish.
- It also accepts both 5” and 6” sanding pads.
- The 6” And 5” sanding pads don’t come as one package.
2. Makita BO5041K 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander Kit
Archive a fast and smooth sanding with the Makita BO5041K 5-inch random orbit sander kit. It has an innovative adjustable front handle that enables you to sand in corners and cramped areas. On top of this, its equipped with a rubbery palm grip to increase comfort.
This BO504K random orbital sander has a 13amp Makita-built motor that provides its potent power- This enables it to produce up to 1200rpm for various operations. It has a variable speed control knob that regulates the speed between 4000 and 12000 rpm. Thus allows you to perform different wood sanding tasks with varying speed.
Moreover, its two-finger trigger switch is large and has an adequately positioned lock-on button- This gives increased comfort and allows you to work continually. For a swirl-free finish, it has a large ⅛” random orbit that ensures a fast and smooth sanding.
Summary of top features
- Its adjustable handle allows sanding on all confined areas.
- Powerful through-the-pad dust collection system that is effective and provides a cleaner environment.
- It has a built-in vacuum port engineered to improve trash collection.
- The sander also has a rubberized palm grip and top hand grip for easy control and even pressure.
- The A variable speed control dial that varies speeds between 4000 and 12000 rpm suitable for all your operations.
- Control pad speed upon start-up, with the pad control system.
- Oversized sealed-ball bearing construction provides a longer life for your tool.
- It has a rubberized palm grip and a handle.
- Variable speed utility.
- Makita built a 3.0 amp motor.
- Pad control mechanism.
- Comfort and ease-of-use.
- Double insulated.
- The abrasive paper is not included.
3. Bosch Power Tools – GET75-6N – Electric Orbital Sander, Polisher
Being among the best random orbital sander, the Bosch power tool GET75-6N comes with an incredible 7.5 amp motor- This makes it perform at a no-load speed of 290 to 640 rpm. Besides, it also operates at a no-load orbit speed ranging between 3300 to 7300 rpm.
Additionally, the Bosch power orbital sander has a dual sanding mode. You use a random orbital for the ordinary stock, whereas the turbo “driven” outlandish for aggressive stock removal. This machine also has a passive dust collection mechanism that works best with a vacuum cleaner and a hose.
Its multi-hole pad system allows for the flexibility of this random orbital sander. Thus it can use a wide variety of abrasive discs.
Summary of top features
- Its turbo mode has a direct-drive rotation that enhances the removal at five times the random orbit rate.
- It also has a powerful 7.5 amp speed motor for flexibility in jobs.
- It has a passive dust collection unit for a cleaner working environment.
- This tool has a variable speed regulator for optimum performance of your choice of work.
- It has a tapered handgrip that has a soft-grip design for comfort while working.
- Auxiliary handle clips on either side of the sander for remarkable control.
- It also has large channels in the pads, thus allowing debris to be sucked out from the vacuum port.
- Easy and fast to use.
- Powerful 7.5 amp motor.
- Multi-hole pad system.
- Fewer Handgrip vibrations.
- Ultra-smooth surface finishing.
- It has no removable dust cup.
4. Makita XOB01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 5″ Random Orbit Sander, Tool Only
The Makita XOB01Z 18V LXT random orbit sander is engineered to facilitate fast material removal. It has an executive three-speed setting that enables you to choose the required speed for a specific work.
Contrary to other random orbit sanders, the Makita XOB01Z has a cordless system- This helps eliminate the risks of minor accidents that may arise from tangling cables. On top of that, it has a powerful 18V battery.
Therefore, it has a run time of up to 40minutes at low speed and 20 minutes at high speed on a single charge. You can easily switch from the fast, medium, and low settings. Thanks to its one-touch electric switch control system.
Summary of top features
- It has a dust-sealed switch and bearing that increases the durability of the machine.
- Ergonomically engineered grip and body for comfort while operating.
- It has a large ⅛” orbit action designed for effective sanding, fast removal, and swirl-free finish.
- The tool has three-speed settings (7000/9500/11000rpm) to match your speed of application. You can easily change these settings using the one-touch electronic switch.
- Powerful 18V lithium-ion battery provides a run-time of up to 40 minutes without charging.
- It comes with a dust bag for all your finishings.
- One-touch electronic switch.
- Through-the pad dust collection system.
- Variable speed control dial.
- Cordless system.
- Increased versatility.
- Sold as a tool only, battery and charger not included.
5. BLACK+DECKER Random Orbit Sander, 5-Inch (BDERO600)
The BLACK+DECKER random orbit sander, 5-inch (BDERO600) features a paddle switch activation system. This dial makes it easy for you to switch the machine on and off while operating.
Moreover, it has a potent 2.5 Amp motor that powers it through any material for a swirl-free finish. Besides, this motor facilitates the 14000 orbits per minute for an efficient finish. Its high-performance dust collection bag foments you with a clean working environment.
The BLACK+DECKER has a compact size and ergonomically engineered to get into tight places- This gives you the maximum full control of your machine.
Summary of top features
- It has a 2.4 amps motor for efficient material removal.
- It also has a highly efficient dust control system for a conducive working environment.
- Toddle switch activation for easy control of power while operating.
- It has a 14000 orbits per minute capability for a swirl-free finish.
- Easy to on and off while operating.
- It leaves you with a clean-finished surface.
- The tool gets into tight areas.
- It maximizes user control.
- It can bring several-body defects.
6. SKIL 5” Random Orbital Sander, Includes 3pcs Sanding Papers and Dust Box – SR211601
With your various sanding applications, the SKIL 5” random orbital sander will deliver highly sophisticated power. All gratitude to its 2.8 amp motor that produces 13000 orbits per minute. It has a transparent easy-to-empty dust container.
This x-flow dust collector makes use of the cyclone force to pick up all the dust particles. The SKIL 5” orbital sander also has a speed control unit- This compartment enables you to choose the right amount of power while working.
It has an ergonomic style with a soft rubber handle, designed to reduce vibrations by counterweighting the balance when operating. It also has a compact size that enables it to maneuver through confined areas.
Summary of top features
- Ergonomic designs enable it to sand in tight places.
- Variable speed control dial allows you to vary the speed between 7000 to 13000 orbits per minute.
- The x-flow dust collection system ensures that you have a clean working environment.
- It has a powerful 2.8amps motor that delivers tender finishings on all wood applications.
- Swirl free finishes.
- Replaceable attachments and sanding sheets.
- It’s ideal for all sanding works on wood.
- Easy to clean dust container.
- It doesn’t have an optional dust collection system.
7. BLACK+DECKER Random Orbit Sander, 5-Inch (BDERO100)
The BLACK+DECKER random orbit sander, 5- inch (BDERO100), has a hook and loop system that enables you to work fast on any wood material. These systems also aid the easy removal and replacement of the papers.
It has a dust-sealed switch that keeps all the dirt and debris away from the machine’s sensitive parts. Its random orbital action affirms that you get a smooth, high-quality finish. Additionally, it has a petite size that brings the DIYers close to the working surface.
This random orbital sander comes in a package that includes one BDERO100 sander, one sanding sheet, and one dust bug.
Summary for top features
- It has a loop and hook system engineered for fast and easy paper changes.
- The dust-sealed switch keeps all the wood residues and dusts out.
- It also has a random orbital action that ensures a high rate of removal and quality finishings.
- It has sufficient dust bags to hold and collect all the debris.
- Easy to clean and empty dust bag.
- Fast and easy paper changes.
- It has high removal and a high-quality finishing rate.
- One BDERO100 sander included.
- It has no robust power.
8. Festool 574993 Random Orbital Sander ETS 125 REQ-Plus
The Festool 574993 random orbital sander ETS 125 REQ-Plus has been designed ergonomically to fit in any hand size. This unit is compact and lightweight. Therefore, you can use it for extended vertical and also overhead applications.
Its dust extraction system has an outside diameter of 1½,” that is big enough to leave any dust behind. Besides, it also has a step-less variable speed control dial- This system allows you to reach the specifications of your work.
The Festool 574993 orbital sander has a (vs) balanced vibration stop- This assures that you have great comfort for smooth operations and better finishing. Its jet stream forge conveys a highly effective dust removal. Thus results in cleaner air, better finishes, and long pad and abrasive life.
Summary of key features
- Step-less variable speed assures adjustments to your needs of applications.
- It’s ergonomically configured to fit in any hand size for easy use.
- A balanced vibration stop delivers smooth and steady comfort while operating.
- Lightweight hence ideal for both vertical and overhead use.
- Strut Jetstream design offers highly efficient dust removal for better finishes.
- Comfortable in any hand size.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Interchangeable sanding pads.
- Jetstream design.
- It uses 120v of power.
9. Milwaukee Electric Tools 2648-20 M18 Random Orbit Sander
Milwaukee electric M18 random orbit sander is among the cordless sanders in the market today. Its wireless system ensures that you work freely without the risk of minor incidents.
As a cordless unit, it’s incorporated with red-lithium battery technology. Therefore, with the 18TM 3.0Ah battery pack, it delivers a whole 35minutes of run-time. It has a potent motor that allows you to remove more material per single charge.
The Milwaukee random sander has a variable speed control dial. Its this system that allows you to take more control over the output. You do this by varying the speed between 7000 and the maximum 12000 OPM.
Summary of key features
- Red-lithium battery technology ensures a longer fade-free runtime for maximum output.
- Its 3/32” orbit diameter and 5” sanding pad ensures that you get a smooth and high-quality finish.
- The variable speed knob allows you to manage your work by varying the speed between 7000-12000 rpm.
- The cordless system eliminates the risk of minor accidents that arise from tangling cables.
- Quick change hook-and-loop sanding pad.
- It’s cordless.
- It has a long run-time period.
- Variable speed functionality.
- The battery is sold separately.
10 CRAFTSMAN Random Orbit Sander, 3-Amp, Corded (CMEW231)
Meet CRAFTSMAN random orbit sander, 3-Amp, corded (CMEW231). This corded orbital sander is ideal for smoothing seams, removing paint or varnish, and surface preparation. Its slow profile design reduces the number of vibrations while working. Besides, it also adds you control over the entire operation.
It has a 3.0 Amps motor rating- This gives you up to a maximum of 12000 OPMs, thus enough power to complete your task with ease. It also features a dual dust collection system- The onboard dust bag and a connection to 11/4” vacuum hose.
The Craftsman CMEW231 has its switch sealed to prevent dust and so guarantees the long life of the machine. On top of that, this unit is compatible with various versatile peg hooks.
Summary of top features
- Onboard dust bag and a vacuum hose for dust collection, ensure that you leave your working environment sparkling.
- Its hose and dust-sealed switch increase the lifespan of the machine.
- The 3.0 Amps motor provides enough power for a smooth tender to touch finish.
- The compact low-profile design reduces vibrations.
- It’s easy to use.
- Two dust collection mechanisms.
- Also ideal for all your woodwork applications.
- It has low levels of vibrations.
- Three years of limited warranty.
- It includes only one sample of sandpaper.
Best Random Orbital Sanders Buyers’ Guide
Random orbital has taken over from the rotary sanders. Various upgrades like the ball bearing mechanism allow you to position the sanding round pad- The random orbital sander can work on hard surfaces by going around it little by little with tiny orbits.
Therefore, no single part of the abrasive will cover the same spot twice during the same spin. However, there are numerous manufactures with contrary ideas of designing the random orbital sander.
But worry not, below is a researched and detailed list of the things to consider before ordering for the best random orbital sander.
How to use random orbital sander:
Why You Should Buy the Best Random Orbital Sander
- It’s easy to use. With the different OBM ratings- You can easily manage this device using its speed control dial. Thus you significantly operate it on diverse materials without using multiple numbers of machines.
- It produces fewer vibrations. Despite that, it’s a vibrating tool- This machine has an ergonomically rubberized grip handle, which absorbs most of the thrills that emerge while operating. Therefore, it makes it comfortable for you when working.
- Smooth finishing. The random orbital sander creates a consistent surface with minimum observable scratches. Thanks to its ball-bearing mechanism that allows the pad to rotate randomly.
Factors to Consider While Choosing the Best Sander
The motor is the heart of the machine. Different OPM and Amps ratings determine the amount of work that you can do on various types of wood materials. The motors also take in different power ratings. For instance, some are universally compatible, taking in voltage ranging from 120v to 240v.
Others take in a fixed amount of voltage like 120v, 110v, or 240v- But there are other designs like the Milwaukee electric tools 2648-20 M18 that are cordless. Thus they come with an embedded battery that powers the motor.
- Variable speed dial
You should highly consider the variable speed functionality of the machine. Without this dial, you won’t have the freedom to work on different types of materials. This knob enables you to vary the working speed between your machine’s minimum and maximum OPM rating.
For the best output, it is advisable to choose on a random orbital sander with a variable speed ranging between 7000 to 14000 OPM.
- Dust collection system
For a cleaner working environment, your device should have a dust collection system. For instance, some have the microfilter dust canister with an integrated paper for filtering up to ½ micron in diameter dust. Others come equipped with a vacuum hose that sucks out every dust particle.
However, it’s my advice that you choose an orbital sander with a dual dust collection system for maximum efficiency.
- Grip handle
The random orbital sander has a handle that you grip when operating. However, the vibrations produced might be very intense. Thus hinder you from working comfortably. For this reason, you should consider ordering an orbital sander, with an ergonomic rubberized palm grip- This increases your comfort and control for a better output.
Moreover, your machines should have a front adjustable handle- This will enable you to sand even in tight corners or confined areas.
As reviewed above, the random orbital sander is ideal for many wood applications. Its unique square shape helps it get into corners and up against margins. Additionally, you can also cut-to-fit regular sandpaper, in place of the purpose-made random orbit sanding disk.
The best random orbital sander uses vibrations’ principle to ensure even balancing on all kinds of surfaces. Besides, you don’t need a trash can since most of these units have come with either a dust bag, vacuum hose, or both.
My overall best random orbital sander is Bosch 120-V 6-Inch Random Orbit Sander/Polisher with Vibration Control ROS65VC-6, this tool has everything a woodworker requires in an orbital sander, it comes with great reliability as well as durability making it the best investment possible in the long run.
Therefore, if you have been wondering how experts do their finishings? You have this entire article to help you choose the best random orbital sander.
I hope you found this post helpful to your quest of getting the sander that will work for you. If you have any questions, opinions or suggestions kindly share it with me in the comment section below. Happy shopping!