Biscuit jointers also, biscuit joiners, or plate joiners are devices used to join two pieces of wood together. A small circular saw blade is used to cut a shaped hole in the opposite edges of two wood pieces, also known as wood composite panels. When done correctly, they are at least as strong as a similar size mortise and Tenon joint and decidedly strong than a dowel joint. Upon proper adjustment, the tool will cut a slot 1/32 inches deeper than half the width of your biscuit. The additional 1/32 provides wiggle room as well as room for glue. Even so, you need the best biscuit jointer for woodworking for the very best finishes.
When attaching two pieces, adding a couple of biscuits helps with alignment and makes a joint stronger. There are several cool things that you can do with your jointer. Many approaches have also come up on how to join pieces of wood together. The tool is great for boxes, drawers, cabinet carcasses, frames, miters, and edge banding. Read on for more…
List of the Best Biscuit Jointer for Woodworking
1. DEWALT Plate Joiner Kit, (DW682K)
This Dewalt biscuit jointer has an effortless design. The configuration of the plate allows flush cuts to be made without removing the Fence. The 45-degree locating notch allows for easy indexing of an outside registration. Accuracy is critical when creating joints, and this jointer device kit delivers it all.
Its dual rack and pinion fence ensure the blade and Fence are always parallel-arguably the most challenging part of creating a perfect joint. That part of the tool has been integrated into the joiner’s overall design for convenience. Its flexible nature enables it to be tilted at angles ranging from 0 degrees to 90 degrees.
It has been engineered with a -1/2 ampere with 10,000 rotations per minute motor, which provides plenty of power. Enables the tool to make cuts at a depth of up to 20 millimeters, even in the hardest of woods. The power behind the cut is an inherent part of what makes this tool safer. It works by preventing movements with your workpiece.
The tool has also been packaged with a convenient design detail that includes preset stops. It is also equipped with a non-marring, heavy-duty aluminum shoe; the device can be clamped down for stable stationary work. Whether you’re using the joiner when clamped down or as a free moving unit, the retractable anti-slip pins hold your workpiece in place for the perfect cuts.
Summary of top features
- Preset depth stops at sizes of 0, 10, and 20.
- 10,000 rotations per minute motor
- Easy to adjust the Fence
- Dual rack and pinion fence
- Three years limited warranty
- Retractable anti-slip pins that hold work in place
- You can make flush cuts at 0 degrees without removing the Fence.
- The biscuit does not fit properly.
- The dust bag is slightly small.
2. Makita PJ7000 Plate Joiner
Weighing only 5.4 kilograms, the Makita PJ7000 exemplifies the earliest biscuit joiners’ stereotype on the web platform. The 5.6-amp motor is a bit low compared to other joiners, but the speed is 11,000 rotations per minute. However, it is fast, which means you will get quick and precise cuttings in various woods. It is most ideally designed for lightweight work on softwood.
The blade diameter is 4 inches with at least a maximum cutting depth of ¾ inches. This model turns your dreams into reality. These phenomenal six depth settings with one-touch stops for standard biscuit sizes; include 0, 10, and 20.
The rack and pinion vertical fence system has been engineered for accurate fence adjustments. Cast aluminum pivot fence has been designed with three positive stops at 0 degrees, 5 degrees, and 90 degrees. This fantastic engineered tool has been made with non-marring rubber inserts on the shoe to prevent slipping material. Additionally, the ‘tool-less’ blade cover and shaft lock allow for easy blade changes.
We cannot forget about the slim and ergonomic body design for added comfort. This powerful tool comes with ease of features for robust and accurate biscuit joints for furniture making, cabinet construction, and suitable woodworking applications.
Summary of top features
- Dust port that provides easy access to Makita vacuum system
- Large top grip handle for improved handling
- Rack and pinion fence for accurate adjustments
- It has a cast aluminum pivot fence with three positive stops
- Large and easy to operate cam locks
- Designed for making healthy plate joints in less time
- Double insulated
- Ergonomic design for added comfort
- It makes healthy plate joints in a minimum amount of time.
- Sawdust chute clogs all the time.
3. Lamello Lamello Top 21 101500 Adjustable Cutter Height Biscuit Joiner
The Lamello biscuit joiner is a top performer in the tool world, more than you would expect. The height-adjustable cutter has explicitly been designed for repeatable offset joints. It’s a great machine that shows everything you would expect from a Swiss precision company that invented the technique back In the 1950s.
One of the newest improvements is that all of the side surfaces are machined to the same alignment. You can reduce it into corners or use it as an edge guide. All the scales for measurement are all on one side so that you can easily make your adjustments. The regular quick Fence has click stops with a standard lever tightening on the side.
There’s a large knob on the top that allows you to adjust the position of the blade. The up and down motion precisely helps you to center the blade to your work. You can also use it with different kinds of connectors that may be thicker.
Summary of top features
- Height adjustable cutter for repeatable offset joints.
- Ability to tilt from 0 degrees to 135 degree
- 1,050 Watt electronic smart motor
- Soft start overload protection and speed
- Slots can be cut up against another workpiece.
- The square mount is an internal dovetail slide making it extremely precise.
- Maintains proper RPM in all types of materials
- Includes a big dust bag
3. PORTER-CABLE Plate Joiner Kit, 7-Amp (557)
There is a fence on the front that you can loosen, and it tilts outward. It incremented on a scale and slides up to 90 degrees. However, it can go up to 135 degrees by changing the slot area. If you need to do something at the edge of a board, you put the board below the Fence and plunge in. When you have to do a shelf and don’t have the support, fold the Fence up, hold it down on the surface, and plunge it letting out the cutter, and you cut.
A scale on the side starts at a quarter on the bottom and increments 16th of an inch. If you are using the plastic Fence, you need to lower your blade by 530 seconds. This does not equate to the scale when you are making the height adjustments.
The depth of cut will do seven-position rotating depth stop for FF, #0, #10, #20, simplex, duplex, and Max (#6) biscuits. You just turn the dial, and it would change your depth of cut, which is pretty neat. It does have a fine adjustment if you want to tailor the depth of your biscuit.
The four-inch blade makes standard-size cuts; the two-inch blade easily handles as fine as 1-1/2 inches. This remarkable tool measures 7 inches in height and weighs 7.5 pounds. It comes with two blades centering plate, dust bag, chip deflector, and a spanner wrench to help change the blade. The included items are essential. This industry-leading power handles a variety of wood and offers seven different cutting settings.
Summary of top features
- The blade rotates at 10,000 rotations per minute.
- The Fence tilts from 0 degrees to 135 degrees with a positive adjustable stop at 90 degrees.
- The plate joiner offers seven different cutting settings.
- Advanced fence system for precision and accuracy
- A technologically advanced system that accepts two blades, both standard and face frame biscuits.
- Handles cuts as small as 1-1/2 inches
- A 7 position rotation depth stop
- Complete with a lock-on trigger
- Height scale accurate at any angle
- The dust bag falls off because the spring clip is far too loose.
- Blade changing can be awkward.
4. Lamello Classic x 101600 Biscuit Joiner
The Lamello classic joiner is not just a name; it comes with classic functions and looks. Despite its honest looks, it is arguably the highest quality biscuit joiner in the market. Often described as the Cadillac of plate joiners, the tool consistently lives up to its reputation. It sports a powerful ergonomically designed 780 Watt motor that delivers clean cuts. The plate joiner can cut grooves for 12 different biscuits without changing the cutting tool.
However, this model’s only drawback is that it doesn’t have a rack and pinion fence, which is easy to use; instead, it uses a dovetail system. The slide shoe, Fence, and multi-function stop square are all made from one piece of precision machined milled metal making it the only plate joiner in the market with such construction.
The quality ensures perfect accuracy, literally for years. Incorporated are Positive stops at the most common cutting angles are 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5, and 90 degrees. It can be easily circumvented by quickly referencing the unit outside of a 45-degree miter joint and allows a 135-degree miter stop.
Nevertheless, it delivers joints that will always line up perfectly flush, saving you time, money, and aggravation for years. The manufacturers always offer superior quality power tools, and X 101600 is not an exception. The new style multi-function stops square slides and locks on to the bottom of the slide show to make vertical use of the tool quick and safe.
Summary of top features
- The tool has a new base plate swiveling front stop and stops square
- New rugged, ergonomically designed motor
- It comes with a CNC high precision machined parts and long life guidance system
- Simple and easy to use
- Can cut rooves for 12 different biscuits
- Beveled edge for easy sight of measuring
- The Fence has no rack and pinion, making it hard for beginners to align.
5. XJP03Z Lithium-Ion Cordless Plate Joiner
It is every wood worker’s favorite tool in the shop. It is so fast, convenient, and nice to have. The unit features Makita 18 Volts lithium-ion series; a lithium slide battery powers it. The batteries have the fastest charge times in their category. This technology means they spend more time working and less time on the charger.
The unit has a large, seemingly large handle for larger hands. One drawback is that it is not long enough. When you plunge the tool, the left rod and the base plate make contact with your hands. You have to grab the handle a little more awkwardly than you should.
There is an excellent centerline power switch that enables you to push forward to turn on and push back to turn off. On the right-hand side behind the unit’s base plate is the dust collector adaptor, which also comes with a dust collection bag. The bag has a friendly non zipper style that comes with a sliding clip on it. It works well, and the sliding clip is ingenious, making it super easy to use. You will notice when using this tool is the dust and the chips are directed to the floor.
Summary of top features
- Rack and vertical pinion fence engineered for accurate adjustments
- Cordless plate joiner
- Uses 18-Lithium ion batteries
- It has a slim and ergonomic body design for added comfort
- Provides up to 300 cuts or 150 joints on a single cut
- Cast aluminum front body for improved handling
- Non-marring rubber inserts on the shoe to prevent material from slipping
- It’s a cordless model that provides portability on job sites.
- You have to purchase the battery and the charger separately.
- It is loud
6. Ryobi -JM83K-AC Biscuit Joiner Kit
Ryobi presents this tool that cuts slots for holding biscuits with precision. While it cuts it deep, straight, and tight, you may notice one thing on the angle of it. It may cut slightly higher on one side than the other. If you notice that on your tool, the good news is you can make some adjustments on the inside. Better still, if it doesn’t work, you can return it during the return window. Therefore, it is imperative to check the alignment part before you proceed.
Other than that, the kit features a powerful 6 Amp motor that delivers up to 11,000 rotations per minute and uses 120 volts. Featuring a centerline and cut indicator mark, it enables the operator to make more accurate cuts and also been able to cut slots for holding the biscuits precisely.
It uses a dust bag for convenient dust collection where wood particles run p through a tunnel into the tool’s base and collected in the dust bag during cutting. You can say goodbye to messy workspaces.
The locking knob loses the adjustment fence, which allows movement of the height adjustment knob. This tool further offers rack and pinion height adjustment while the cutter depth can be adjusted to positive stops from 0, 45, or 90 degrees. For the 135 cutter depth adjustment, positives stop range from 0, 10, and 20 biscuit sizes.
Summary of top features
- Cutter depth adjustment
- Accurate metal fences
- Ergonomic handle
- 11,000 rotations per minute
- Comes with 20 ten biscuits
- The spring-loaded depth adjustment knob is adjustable to make proper settings from 3 standard size biscuits.
- Has a conveniently located on/off switch on one side
- Comes with a 3-year warranty along with a 90-day exchange policy
- Some of the kits do not come adequately aligned, so ensure to check.
7. VonHaus 8.5 Amp Wood Biscuit Plate Joiner
VonHaus is the best cheap biscuit joiner on the market today as they get to manufacture power tools at friendly prices. You get to make quick, accurate biscuit cuts for super-strong miter joints, T joints, butt joins, and edge to edge/corner joints with the 8.5 Amp and 120 Volts biscuit joiner.
The large ergonomically designed top grip handle allows enhanced comfort. The tool comes with 1×4 inches blade, and the joiner is also compatible with all biscuit joiner blades that are 100mm (4 inches) in diameter with a 22mm bore.
The large top grip gives you total control over the tool, while the slim ergonomic body is created for comfortable operation. For convenient use, the biscuit joiner features preset stops for the most common biscuit sizes 0, 10, and 20. There is also an M setting, which puts the manual mode tool to allow you to cut to custom depths. This joiner is ideal for building wooden furniture, DIY projects, restoration, and carpentry projects.
Summary of top features
- There is a D grip handle designed to enhance control.
- Nifty presets that allow you to cut all regular biscuit sizes
- Adjustable tilt fence that can be locked in position
- Ergonomic design for enhanced comfort
- Dust collection bag for safe, quick, and accurate wok
- Compatible with all wood types
- Easily adjust depth, height, and angle.
- The joiner gets easily clogged with sawdust.
- The company does not specify a warranty.
8. Triton TDJ600 Duo Dowelling Jointer 710W
This nifty tool is a viable option for any woodworker or DIY enthusiast out there. You can use it to make small pieces of furniture, frames, and larger frames using the larger diameter drill bit. Precision and power are combined in this mighty jointer dowel jointer, increasing your furniture and shelving construction efficiency.
The designed anti-slip pads help prevent movement during the drilling process to ensure fast, reliable jointing. This unit is ideal for forming strong, reliable, edge to edge, and miter corner joints. The remarkable feature creates accurately spaced joints along the length of the workpiece.
Furthermore, this tool’s Fence adjustments start from 0 degrees to 90 degrees for making a wide range of accurate angled joints. The variable setting rill depth meets the precise requirements of each joint.
Summary of top features.
- Double drilling set at 1-1/4 inch apart for fast, accurate jointing.
- Patented rack and pinion mechanism
- The tool has jig teeth for the exact drilling of repetitive holes at preset sizes
- Its clear 3-line viewer enables easy set up with rapid repeat operation.
- It has a bail handle for additional control.
- Rubber grips to offer comfort
- Dust port that assists in dust extraction
- The plunge maker is not the smoothest.
- It has springs that control the travel of the bits is stiff.
9. Gino Development 01-0102 TruePower Biscuit Plate Joiner
This machine looks like a complicated little machine, but it is straightforward to operate. There is a collection bag that is used to collect sawdust. Down at the bottom of the handle, there are trigger controls that are on/off. When you move up to the front of this biscuit cutter, you get three knobs that you need to concern yourself with as you begin to work.
The first knob controls the height of the cut. You can raise and lower the biscuit cutter to accommodate the stop. Additionally, the second knob controls the biscuit size. The biscuit comes with a number in the middle, and it helps to know what size to set the dial tool. Biscuits only come in 3 sizes, that is 0, 10, and 20. The last adjustment knob controls the adjustable Fence. It assists in tilting the Fence up and down.
Summary of top features
- comes with 1010 watts with 11000 rotations per minute.
- The maximum cutting depth is 0.55
- They are designed with a cutting angle of 0 degrees to 45 degrees.
- Includes a Tungsten carbide tipped blade
- comes with an adjustable fence.
- The blade burns the wood.
Best Biscuit Jointer for Woodworking Buyers Guide
Biscuit joiners are great joinery tools, effortless to use, but there are a few differences that impact when it comes time to pick up which machine to buy. Let us go through some of the factors.
All the machines work great when you are referencing from the base of the tool. If you are cutting a biscuit slot into the edge of a three ¼ inch board, you will put it against the tool, clamp it down, and push and plunge into the wood. It sets the preset to reference the middle of the thick board that works great every time.
The problem comes when you have to use the Fence and not the base. You never use both at the same time. So when you do have to use the Fence, that’s when you get to see some real differences between machines.
Primarily most of the machines have a fence lift system that’s a rack and pinion. It means when you turn the bolt or a knob the Fence moves up and down. This remains the most accurate way to get precise results. They usually tilt from 0 degrees to 90 degrees and even 135 degrees.
- Cutting Speed
Cutting speed is essential because faster spinning blades will typically cut through hard material without difficulty. Simultaneously, slower biscuit joiner blades are more prone to getting caught on knots or overheating when cutting through hardwoods. Cutting speed is mainly related to the power coming from the motor.
The majority of corded biscuit joiners range from 10,000 to 11000 rotations per minute. This variation on the range can cut through any type of hardwood with ease. Don’t forget to consider the Amp draw when you are looking at different biscuit joiners’ power. When you pay attention, you get the best out of both worlds. With excellent power draw and rapid rotations per minute, you will get more work done in less time.
- Depth Setting Height And Angle
A biscuit joiner should cut a slot slightly more profound than half the biscuit’s width you are trying to fit. This space provides some wiggle room but still ensures that about half remains on each side of the joint. Most of the perfect joiners come engineered to make it easy to adjust the depth, height, and angle.
You get to create a strong connection to suit your project. The depth, height, and angle settings enable you to accurately cut adjoining holes for miter joints, T-joints, butt joints, and edge to edge/corner joints.
- Blade Diameter
Typical biscuits come standard with a four-inch cutting blade. This feature makes it one of the most fundamental aspects in determining the length of slots you will be making in your wood. However, smaller biscuits are mostly two inches in length available when working with small pieces of wood.
It also applies when you are worried about splitting your wood with a more extended cut. For woodworkers who expect to work with smaller biscuits, you can buy models that allow you to switch to a two-inch blade.
- Type of Project
When picking a biscuit joiner, it is essential to focus your attention on the type of project you will be involved in. there will be a current project and a long term one or for future purposes. A customizable cut depth is essential when working on many custom and complex wood projects. Think about the kind of wood you will be cutting. You are most likely to save money if you engage in cutting softwoods only, which opts for a less powerful model. If you are working with hardwood, you will need to invest in a joiner that is higher rpm or more incredible cutting speed with a powerful motor.
- Dust Collection System
The dust collection system is a significant feature in any good joiner. There are plenty of wood shavings, dust, and chips flying around when working on your project. It is not advised to work in such an environment as it is not safe. Let’s not think about the possible accidents that could occur with wood chips flying around as you work but focus on having a dust system.
For these tools, the ports come in all shapes and sizes. Make sure the model that you are buying has an excellent dust collection system.
Here’s how to use a biscuit jointer:
When your biscuit jointer is not cutting accurately, that means it is entirely useless. Having a joiner that works effectively is a plus and puts your work ahead of the rest. This equipment is excellent in nearly every application. You have now been fully equipped with the right information that will enable you to make the right choice. Go ahead and make your purchase, and finish up that project.
Well, you might be having a hard time choosing the best biscuit jointer for your woodworking shop and projects. If you ask me to pick one for you from my long list, then it would be the DEWALT Plate Joiner Kit, (DW682K). This tool is very woodworkers dream than to its wonderful features and above all, its price range. So if you are thinking of something effective and affordable then think no further.
I want to believe that you have enjoyed reading this post and that it added something to your decision making even as you intend to shop. If you have questions kindly share them with me in the comment section below.