Among the major tools that you should have in your woodworking shop is a miter saw. It would be a plus if you can get yourself the best 12 miters saw as this tool does an excellent job when it comes to making cuts at a variety of angles. The miter saw is handy when it comes to making quick cuts for crown molding, frames of pictures, door frames, and window casings.
Most people have no problems spending on miter saws until it comes to picking the right products to suit their different needs. In the process of shopping for a miter saw a lot of people, especially beginners, end up spending their money on the wrong products. So how do we bring an end to this?
I have reviewed the very best miter saws you should consider buying for your woodworking projects. Additionally, I have provided a complete buyer’s guide with the best factors you should consider even as you look to shop for your tool.
The List of The Best 12 Miter Saw
1. DEWALT DWS780 BEVEL SLIDING COMPOUND MITER SAW
If you are looking for a sliding compound miter saw with a proper build for heavy-duty use at home or on your job site, then the Dewalt DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw is what you should consider. It has a very powerful 15-amp motor that delivers 3,800 RPM. Additionally, the tool also offers a very conducive working environment as its power cord is routed carefully through the rail in the back.
This sliding compound miter saw provides one of the best combinations of cut capacities. Its capacities include 6-¾- inch vertical capacity, 13-⅞-inch horizontal capacity, and 7-½-inch nested crown capacity. We cannot ignore the back fence design that cuts up to 2 x 16 at a 90° angle and 2 x 12 when at a 45° angle. The miter saw has a rail lock latch for holding the head away from the fence. It simplifies and maximizes vertical cutting capacity.
The Summary of Top Features
- The saw comes with a power cord through the rail of the back of the saw to reduce any contact with the slide.
- Its dust collection system that catches up to 75% of dust during cuts.
- The tool comes with a new handle design for maximum portability.
- It has a cam lock miter button that allows you to lock the angles between detents.
- This saw has dual copper windings that keep the motor cooled during work.
- It has a massive 5,300 RPM blade speed.
- The tool has dual copper windings to keep the motor cool.
- You get a big 2⅜-inch maximum cutting capacity at 90 degrees
- It has an efficient dust collection system
- It is difficult to assemble.
- The dust collection system may clog.
2. MAKITA LS1221 12″ COMPOUND MITER SAW
This tool from Makita is the best 12 miter saw for those woodworkers looking for a durable and robust tool. It is a powerful 15.0 AMP motor that delivers up to 4,000 RPM. Its performance is impressive and engineered in such a way that it never slips or bogs down like belt-drive units. With all this power, the miter saw can maintain constant speed under control.
This compound miter saw comes with a large capacity of 3-⅞ inches * 6 inches at 90 degrees. It has a 4-½-inch tall pivoting fence that cuts up to 5-½-inch crown molding.
This miter saw has ease of awe-inspiring use features. They include a horizontal D-handle design and a compact size for comfortable use and easy portability. It also has a carbide-tipped blade that helps you make very clear and precise cuts.
The Summary of Top Features.
- An engineered aluminum base that helps one get accurate cuts.
- Weighs 37 pounds and has a compact design for easy portability.
- Pivoting fence that supports larger materials.
- Carbide tipped blade that helps in making precise cuts.
- Horizontal D-handle design for comfortable use.
- 4-1/2″ tall pivoting fence for cutting up to 5-1/2″ crown molding.
- Electronic brake.
- Machined aluminum base.
- Compact and lightweight.
- 3-amp direct drive.
- Pivoting fence to support large materials.
- It does not have a soft start.
3. BOSCH POWER TOOLS GCM12SD
A tool with a glide system that allows you to save some space is a must get. The axial glide system of the Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD gives you room to do more extensive cross cuts and better alignment while still being compact, which saves you about 12 inches of workspace.
This tool gives you an unmatched smoothness of cut. The product also comes with an expanded cutting capacity 14-inch horizontal capacity, 61/2 inch vertical capacity against the fence base and 61/2 inch crown capacity against the fence.
It is effortless to make adjustments when using the Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD as it provides easy changes with easy to read uniform bevel and stainless steel miter scales with marked detents and roof pitch angles. The upfront bevel controls the metal bevel lock lever, and the range selector is located upfront so that you can easily make bevel changes without reaching behind the saw.
The Summary of Top Features
- The range selector is located upfront for quick bevel settings.
- Glide system that allows wider crosscuts and better alignment while also being compact.
- This saw has a 1 touch lock/unlock to slide fence for extra support.
- It comes with an easy to read uniform bevel and stainless steel miter scales with marked detents plus roof pitch angles for easy adjustments.
- The tool has a square Lock quick-release fence for 90° alignment to the table of the saw.
- 90% dust collection.
- Easy to adjust.
- The tool comes with an easy to read uniform bevel and stainless steel miter scales.
- Axial glide system.
- It can become filled with sawdust.
4. HITACHI C12RSH2 SLIDING COMPOUND MITER SAW
The Hitachi C12RSH2 15-Amp 12-Inch Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser Marker is a lightweight 12” miter saw weighing in at 26.5 lbs and offers a powerful cut with its 15 amp motor. It makes use of the laser Marker System, which increases its cutting accuracy.
This miter saw has a compact slide system, which is very convenient for sliding along fixed nails. Its sizeable sliding fence rises the fence height to 51/8 inches up to 71/2 inch crowning vertically. The degree bevel angle range of the saw is useful to users as you can quickly flip the saw blade without affecting the material position.
The Summary of Top Features
- Compact slide system that allows the saw head to slide along fixed rails, for zero clearance.
- The Laser Marker System help increase cutting accuracy.
- The tool comes with a powerful 15 Amp motor to handle tough cutting jobs with ease.
- Its large sliding fence raises fence height to 5 1/8 inches to cut up to 7 1/2 inch crown molding vertically.
- 0 to 45-degree bevel angle range to the right and left, allowing users to easily flip the blade and leave the material in place.
- Maximum cutting capacities.
- The laser marker system.
- Powerful 15 Amp motor.
- Large sliding fence.
- Compact slide system.
- It does vibrate due to the plastic components used in certain parts of this saw.
5. SKIL 3821-01 COMPOUND MITER SAW WITH LASER
The SKIL 3821-01 Miter Saw comes with Laser and is very simple to adjust and provides convenience as you use it. It is highly recommended for woodwork and other fabrication. It has an innovative design with positive stops that are useful for setting standard miter angles.
The miter saw comes with a powerful 15Amp motor with 4,500 RPM and a quick-mount system that enables you to set up in seconds. You do not have to worry about your safety. It is made up of heavy-duty and sturdy material.
The miter saw has a laser cutline guide that helps you do your work quickly and accurately. You are also allowed to work on long and large workpieces because of the table extension that it comes with.
The Summary of Top Features
- Powerful 15Amp amp motor with 4,500 RPM.
- A quick-mount system for easy setup.
- Table extension with left/right extension rails for large and long workpieces.
- A laser cutting guide for quick and accurate cuts.
- Positive stops for setting standard miter angles.
- Easy to assemble and convenient to use.
- Innovative design with positive stops.
- Laser cutline guide.
- Well built of heavy-duty and sturdy material.
- Quick mount system.
- It doesn’t come with a stand
6. METABO COMPOUND MITER SAW, C12FDHS
Stability is key when it comes to miter saws. If this is a priority for you, the Metabo HPT 12-Inch Compound Miter Saw, Laser Marker System, C12FDHS features a large base for extra stability. It has a handle made up of a unique elastomer compound that is non-slip and, therefore, very comfortable.
Intense vibrations can be a great hindrance when you are working a miter saw. It means that with a miter saw with high vibrations, you will not work for long. This problem is solved when you work with the Metabo HPT 12-Inch Compound Miter Saw, Laser Marker System, C12FDHS, as you will experience reduced vibrations, and thus you can extend your work sessions.
The miter saw has a large 15 Amp motor that makes its blade cut wood with a lot of ease. The laser marking and micro beveling technology the miter saw has also helped make accurate cuts.
The Top Summary of Top Features
- Large base for extra stability.
- Handle made of a unique elastomer compound, making it non-slip and very comfortable.
- 15 Amp motor that makes the blade cut with ease.
- Laser marking and micro beveling technology that helps the saw make accurate cuts.
- 15-amp motor.
- Laser marking.
- Micro-beveling accuracy.
- Reduced vibrations.
- Large base.
- Non-slip and comfortable handle.
- Poor packaging.
7. TACKLIFE SLIDING MITER SAW, PMS03A
The Tacklife Sliding Miter Saw, PMS03A, has a powerful motor and accommodates multipurpose cutting. The motor is 15 amp/1700W with 3,800RPM. This makes it very suitable for your projects, primarily if you work with multiple materials such as wood, plastics, aluminum alloy, and metal plates.
You would want your workpieces to be worked on peacefully without fear of warping. With this sliding miter saw, you will get an extensive table with vice clamping, which will provide support and balance to your material and thus keeping it from warping.
Summary of Top Features
- Powerful 15AMp/1700W motor that provides smooth cutting through various materials that you are working on.
- The laser marker accurately tracks the real-time position for making accurate and professional cuts.
- Extensive table with vice clamping to provide sufficient support and balance to keep the material from warping.
- D handle design that creates more comfortability and makes the saw easy to use.
- Double linear sliding rail design assuring you of smooth, safe, and precise cutting works.
- Powerful and multipurpose cutting.
- 15-amp motor with 3,800 RPM.
- Sharp 40 Tooth TCT Blade.
- Comfortable D-grip handle.
- Double linear sliding rail.
- Laser marker and extensive table.
- Blades are hard to change.
- Dust collection isn’t effective.
8. DEWALT SLIDING COMPOUND MITER SAW, 12-INCH (DWS779)
The Dewalt Sliding Compound Miter Saw has an exclusive back fence design that cuts up to 2*14 dimensional lumber at 90 degrees and 2*12 at 45 degrees. Its tool dimensions are 17” H x 24.75” L. Tool weight: 56 lbs. It allows a maximum cutting thickness of up to 6.75 inches.
This miter saw has a 15Amp motor with 3,800 RPM for a variety of projects. It has a tough compound miter saw that can be used for various jobs as it delivers extended power and durability.
More about this tool is in the video below:
The Summary of Top Features
- It has a back fence designed to support and give clearance for the blade at any angle adjustment.
- Dust collection system that helps gather up to 75% of the debris generated with each cut.
- It has a 15Amp motor with 3,800 RPM for a variety of projects.
- Camp lock miter handle for easy and quick adjustments.
- Dust collection system
- A back fence designed to give support and clearance for the blade.
- 15Amp motor with 3,800 RPM.
- Easy and quick to adjust.
- It does not include a laser guide or other component for aligning your cuts.
- The saw does not include an LED.
9. DEWALT MITER SAW (DWS716XPS)
The Dewalt Miter Saw, 12-Inch, Double Bevel, Compound, XPS Cutline, 15-Amp (DWS716XPS) has a miter detent override that useful if you want to override the miter stop and adjust to the desired setting without the saw slipping into miter detents. The miter detent plate of the saw improves productivity and ensures cutting accuracy.
The miter saw is robust and durable with 15Amp and 3,800 RPM motor, making it suitable for a variety of jobs and projects that you may want to work on.
The Summary of Top Features
- It has a 15 Amp and 3,800 RPM motor that guarantees you power and durability.
- Miter detent plate that improves productivity and provides accuracy when cutting.
- It has miter detent override for you to override the miter stops and adjust to your desired settings without the saw slipping into the miter detents.
- The double bevel design allows the saw to bevel left, and right 0 – 48 degrees making positive stops at 0, 33.9, 45, and 48 degrees both left and right, allowing you to flip the saw, not the material.
- Has tall sliding fences to support crown molding up to 6-5/8-inch nested and base molding up to 6-1/2-inch vertically against the fence while easily sliding out of the way for bevel cuts.
- Integrated XPS cut line positioning system with an LED light that provides an adjustment-free cut line indication.
- 15 Amp and 3,800 RPM motor.
- Miter detent plate and override.
- Tall sliding fences.
- Integrated XPS cut line positioning system with LED light.
- It does not use a battery.
10. DEWALT FLEXVOLT COMPOUND SLIDING (DHS790AT2)
Dewalt Flexvolt Miter Saw Kit provides the ultimate power flexibility. It allows you to enjoy the convenience of cordless with the performance of a miter saw with a chord.
The miter saw has a strong 120V brushless motor that provides longer runtime, giving you room to do a lot of work. It is, in fact, the best as its runtime is longer than other miters with brushed motors.
This tool comes with an adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 11 detents, 60 degrees towards the right, and 50 degrees towards the left, providing increased capacity.
The Summary of Top Features
- It is cordless, making it very flexible.
- The saw has a powerful 120V brushless motor that provides a longer runtime.
- It has a cutline blade positioning system and an adjustment-free cutline indicator that helps you make accurate and precise cuts.
- It comes with a compact design weighing only 56lbs for easy portability.
- High visibility bevel scale makes bevel angle adjustments accurate and easy.
- Easy to use.
- Compact design enhances portability.
- Cutline positioning system.
- Adjustment free cutline indicator.
- Powerful 120V brushless motor.
- Longer runtime compared to other brushed motors.
- It does not have sliding features.
Best Miter Saws Buyer’s Guide
Miter saw have features that vary from one saw miter to another. It means that you will have to carefully look at the features that come with a particular saw before you decide on the one that will meet your needs. Discussed below are some of the major features you should look out for that will aid your decision on the saw miter you want to get.
A miter saw can be quite expensive, and this requires you to choose one that you can use for a reasonable period. Ensure that your choice can withstand frequent use. Any such tool that does not serve you over an extended duration is more like an investment going to drain. Therefore, ensure that you conduct proper research including consultation to ensure that the tool that you buy lasts.
When thinking of power in terms of Amps and Watts, a miter saw with 15 amp would be stronger and do a better job than one that is 10 amp. Generally, machines that use more energy are much stronger.
In addition to Amps and Watts, RPMs will help you determine the cutting ability of your miter saw. A higher RPM will provide you with smoother cuts and cut through thicker and harder wood.
- Fencing and gauges
Fences in miter saws are usually long metal bars that you can rest your wood against to keep straight while you are cutting it. The fencing needs to be stable and straight so that you can make straight cuts.
The gauges determine the angle of the saw blade and the direction of your cut. Without gauges, you are simply working blindly on a miter saw.
You need your miter saw to tilt so that you can make your cut at different angles. More tilt is better because it will allow you to make angled cuts without turning over the board.
- Dust collection
This feature is critical and commonly and easily overlooked. Dust collection will help you keep your workshop clean. We have models that come with a bag that helps capture the sawdust; however, You are mostly recommended to get a miter saw with an inbuilt dust collection system.
You want a miter saw that can deliver accurate and precise cuts. A miter saw that cannot do this is not worth purchasing. You want your boards to look straight and smooth, which means that you must be intentional in getting a tool that cuts swiftly and precisely.
A miter saw offers you precision, accuracy, and flexibility in your different cutting projects in woodworking. Even so, it is not automatic that the saw you shall buy will perform to such a high level unless you use the best 12 miter saw. These tools allow you to work on heavy-duty projects with so much comfort.
My overall best 12 miter saw is the DEWALT DWS780 Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw. It has a great number of features that you are looking for in a miter saw and will have so much to offer you when making different cuts in your woodworking projects.
Did you find this content helpful in your quest to get the best 12 miter saw? Do you have a question, opinion, or suggestion? Kindly feel free to share it with me in the comment section below. In the meantime, happy shopping!