Jigsaws are power tools used to cut into shape various materials such as lumber, steel, metal sheets, and many more. These machines can cut out straight slots, curves, triangular shapes and can be used to polish rough edges for a cleaner finish on your workpiece. Additionally, jigsaws can produce accurate angled cuts on your workpiece and exponentially increase productivity by making this process fast and effortless. It is for the reasons mentioned above that I present to you the Best Cordless Jigsaw for Woodworking.
The machines discussed in this article are constructed with utmost engineering to accommodate everybody’s needs and can be used by commercial contractors, small scale carpenters, and DIY enthusiasts.
Jigsaws have come a long way in terms of evolution and have undergone remarkable transformations through the years to become highly efficient machines yet affordable. Traditionally, contractors and carpenters used handsaws to ply their trade; these handsaws were exclusively manually operated, making them highly labor-intensive and slow. Then came corded jigsaws, which was an improvement on the handsaws, but not good enough. The advent of cordless jigsaws is a big plus in the carpentry and power tools industry, with refinement on machine portability, efficiency, and costs.
I, therefore, urge you to proceed with reading this article for insights into the Best Cordless Jigsaw for Woodworking, and you’ll undoubtedly get a machine that satisfies all your needs.
List of the Best Cordless Jigsaw for Woodworking
1. DEWALT Jig Saw, Tool Only (DCS331B)
The DEWALT DCS331B is a cordless 20-volt jigsaw that is fantastic and easy to use. Beginning with the “powerhouse,” this tool operates on any slide pack XR range battery from 1.5 Amp to 5 Amp, which gives it better runtime. The battery is easy to hook on the machine as you only need to slide it into position on the tool.
DCS331B has a lock button that you can engage when you are storing the device away. This jigsaw cuts at a maximum speed of 3000 strokes per minute, controlled by a variable speed trigger; if you pull the trigger gently, the blade cuts at a slow pace; if you pull harder, the blade saws at a higher speed.
This machine is highly responsive because as soon as you press the trigger, it cuts without any drag time, and as soon as you let go of the trigger, it stops; this is good for accuracy. DCS331B has a base plate and an adjustment lever for bevel cuts; the angles are marked on the shoe between 0-45° through which you can set your choice. You can also set this tool to produce reciprocating motion of the blade when cutting on your workpiece; this motion means the shank travels in an oval-shaped pattern for a more aggressive cut.
The jigsaw also has a dust blower system that you can adjust to whatever power you want, and this gets rid of dust and debris from the cutline. It’s easy to change the blades on DCS331B as you simply pop back a metal lever on the front of the tool, drop the shank in, and then release the lever.
The item’s dimensions are 11.25 x 11 x 3.9 inches, and it weighs 5.5 lbs. Lastly, it comes with a 3-year limited warranty for assured quality and reliability of services.
Summary of key features
- DEWALT DCS331B cuts at a maximum speed of 3000 spm.
- This machine has a lock button that turns off the device for safe storage.
- The jigsaw has a base plate that can be adjusted to give bevel cuts up to 45°.
- This unit has a variable speed trigger that is ergonomically located under the handle; this enables you to control your cutting tempo.
- DEWALT DCS331B has a 4-position orbital setting plus a straight cut setting; these produce oscillatory sawing motions and up/down cutting movements, respectively.
- The machine is equipped with a dust blower that keeps sawdust away from the cutline.
- The device has a tool-less blade change mechanism.
- The machine displays how much battery is consumed.
- DEWALT DCS331B is well-designed.
- This tool gives you a comfortable grip that won’t slip.
- The jigsaw has a lot of power and battery runtime.
- This unit has an effortless blade change process.
- Setting a beveling angle on DEWALT DCS331B is super easy.
- This machine works flawlessly.
- It is easy to maneuver this tool because it is cordless.
- The unit has better balance, speed control, and tracking.
- DEWALT DCS331B is not equipped with LED work lights to illuminate the cutline.
- This machine does not come with a charger and a battery.
2. Makita XVJ02Z Brushless Cordless Jig Saw, Bare-Tool
Makita has set high standards in the jigsaw industry by manufacturing the best of these hand tools. Among its collection is the Bare-Tool XVJ02Z model; this is an 18V LXT™ Lithium-ion Brushless Cordless jigsaw that features a variable 6-speed control dial that lets you match the speed of cutting to the type of application. Makita XVJ02Z can deliver up to 3500 strokes per minute for fast and efficient cutting and a blower that removes debris and dust that may accumulate in your line of cut.
It is also equipped with a no-load speed reduction feature that automatically reduces blade speed before it gets into contact with the material for more accurate cutting starts. The jigsaw has a shoe bevel that is adjusted between 0-45° to produce bevel cuts. This machine has several convenience features that include a large two-finger trigger switch that is well-designed, a tool-less blade change that makes the process of switching between blades super easy, built-in dual LED lights for enhanced visibility, and a heavy gauge aluminum base for steady support during operation.
Makita XVJ02Z has a compact DEWALT DCS331B and ergonomic design at 10.5″ long and weighs only 5.8 pounds with the battery attached. This jigsaw has an efficient Makita brushless motor that gives it more power and speed, longer run time, and longer tool life. Lastly, this machine features star protection computer controls; this is a communication technology between the tool and battery that protects against over-discharge, overload, and overheating.
Summary of key features
- Makita XVJ02Z has a variable 6-speed control dial.
- This unit can attain maximum cutting speeds of 3500 spm.
- The machine has a no-load speed reduction feature.
- This jigsaw has a base plate that can be adjusted to give bevel cuts up to 45°.
- The tool is equipped with dual LED work lights that irradiate the blade area for better visibility.
- Makita XVJ02Z has a brushless motor system that matches the speed of cutting to the workpiece’s resistance.
- The tool’s bottom plate is large and has a snap-on/off anti-scratch attachment that also nests an anti-splinter guard
- The machine has a keyless blade change system.
- Makita-built brushless motor and 3 orbital settings plus straight cutting deliver faster and more accurate cuts in a variety of materials
- Makita XVJ02Z comes with star protection computer technology.
- Makita XVJ02Z has plenty of power.
- The machine is solidly made.
- This tool doesn’t shake much during operation.
- The unit has been designed with outstanding ergonomic features for the convenience of use.
- The jigsaw’s blade-changing mechanism is marvelous.
- With the long blades, this machine can cut through even 3″ of timber.
- This jigsaw’s soft-start feature won’t let you start cutting at higher speeds no matter your speed setting.
- The safety lock button of Makita XVJ02Z has to be pressed every time that you want to cut and typically can’t be activated with one hand.
3. Bosch Cordless Jig Saw Bare Tool JSH180B
The Bosch JSH180B is an 18-volt lithium-ion jigsaw with a compact and lightweight design.
The blade-change mechanism of this machine is so simple that you can use only one hand for execution. Bosch JSH180B can be set to achieve a four-stage orbital action of the blade for faster and more aggressive sawing and is equipped with a variable speed trigger that lets you work at your own pace; the maximum stroke rate is at 2700 SPM. This jigsaw is also kitted out with LED lights to illuminate your cutline for better visibility.
The unit also has an adjustable footplate for bevel cuts up to 45°. The machine comes with new Bosch cool pack 18-volts lithium-ion batteries designed to reduce heat buildup during operation; this makes them live longer. The battery pack comes with a fuel gauge that indicates battery consumption and performance for convenience of operation. Bosch JSH180B has a blower that always engages when the machine runs to keep debris from accumulating on the cut line.
This tool has dimensions of 7.5″ H, 10 1/4″ L, 3″ W and weighs 4.8 pounds.
Summary of key features
- Bosch JSH180B uses 18-volt lithium-ion batteries.
- This jigsaw is equipped with 4-position orbital settings, including straight cuts, that give you the versatility of application.
- The tool comprises a variable speed trigger that lets you cut at your desired momentum.
- This machine cuts at a speed range of between 0-27oo spm.
- Bosch JSH180B is kitted out with a fuel gauge that indicates battery levels when operating the machine.
- The tool comes with built-in LED lights that light up the blade area for clear visibility.
- The jigsaw has an air blower that clears the cutline of accumulated sawdust.
- This device comes with a beveling shoe that can be adjusted to give angled cuts.
- Bosch JSH180B has a tool-less blade change mechanism that makes it easier to clamp and remove blades.
- Bosch JSH180B comes at a pocket-friendly price.
- The machine has an extended battery backup time.
- This jigsaw is well made, compact, and lightweight.
- The tool has an electronic motor protection feature.
- This unit has proper airflow to avoid overheating.
- Bosch JSH180B is powerful.
- The jigsaw is safe even when you’re carrying it up a ladder, thanks to the blade lock.
- This machine lets you cut through aluminum, steel, and wood with ease.
- With this tool, you have to use the onboard allen wrench to change the baseplate’s angle, which gets pretty tiresome.
4. DEWALTJig Saw, Tool Only (DCS334B)
DEWALT Industrial Tool Company is the quintessential maker of hand tools and power tools like jigsaws. One of its latest makes is the Tool Only DCS334B jigsaw. You will instantly notice that this is a DEWALT jigsaw due to the yellow and dark colors unique to DEWALT machines.
This machine is equipped with an efficient brushless motor, specially designed to lower heat buildup and increase the jigsaw’s life. If you are seeking to be in total control of your tool, DCS334B is as good as it gets as it comes with both a variable speed trigger and dial to home in on your perfect speed. This machine has a base plate that is easy to adjust to produce bevel cuts on your workpiece; the bevel shoe has detents at 0°, 15°, 30°, and a positive stop at 45°.
With this jigsaw, it is easy to use and change blades since it requires no external tools; the shank is operated at the touch of a simple metal lever on the front of this jigsaw. As you need to see what you are working on, this tool has a built-in LED light to illuminate your workpiece. The DEWALT DCS334B is part of the 20V max XR® system of power tools and shares the robust and durable lithium-ion batteries. It is also lightweight at 4.2 pounds.
Summary of key features
- DEWALT DCS334B has a brushless motor that matches the cutting speed with the resistance of the material being cut.
- The jigsaw is equipped with both a variable speed trigger and a speed dial giving you full control of cutting tempo.
- This machine has a shoe bevel adjusted for bevel cuts at 15°, 30°, and 45°.
- The tool comes with LED work lights that irradiate your working area.
- This tool is part of the 20V max XR® system of power tools that use Li-Ion batteries.
- DEWALT DCS334B has a tool-less blade change that uses metal-0nly lever action.
- The battery and charger of this machine are sold separately.
- The tool has a convenient air blower in front to keep dust off of the cutting area.
- DEWALT DCS334B gives plenty of power, with 2AH allowing you to work on many projects.
- The machine feels well-balanced.
- This tool has high power output.
- The jigsaw is compact for a comfortable grip and maximum control
- The weight and size of this brushless model are convenient, making it easy to handle.
- DEWALT DCS334B makes precise cuts.
- With this unit, it’s easy to control where the blade is going.
- You can see the cutline thanks to the LED lights on this machine.
- This jigsaw blows sawdust out of your cut view.
- The tool works effortlessly, even through 3/4″ plywood.
- This machine’s battery power is more than adequate.
- The machine’s battery consumption is a little high.
5. Milwaukee (MLW273720) Jig Saw (Bare)
The Milwaukee M18 FUEL D-Handle Jigsaw is an upgrade from its earlier version with a brushless motor, increased strokes per minute, dust collection features, and LED light system. This machine operates at a higher blade speed than a corded jigsaw; at a maximum of 3500 spm, it can cut a three-quarter inch laminated particle board with ease, and a variable speed trigger controls this speed.
Speaking of the speed trigger, it is large and accommodates two fingers to reduce fatigue on your fingers. MLW273720 also has moderately low noise levels of about 90 decibels, which minimizes distractions when working. This jigsaw has a beveling shoe that is easily adjusted to 15°, 30°, and 45° for bevel cuts; the sole lets you cut that bevel nice and straight without any resistance.
The MLW273720 has 4 orbital action settings on its side that allow you to attain different levels of reciprocating blade movements, which are much faster and aggressive. It also has an integrated counterbalance system to reduce the up and down shaking created by the blade’s reciprocating plunges. This machine’s blade-changing system is keyless, comprising a slide-actuated plastic lever, and uses standard T-shaped blades.
The LED light is highly convenient for visibility and stays on for over 10 seconds after the trigger is released; there is also an on/off cutline blower that keeps the cutline clear of sawdust. The jigsaw’s dimensions are 9.1 x 9.1 x 9.1 inches, and it weighs 5.73 pounds.
Summary of key features
- This machine is equipped with a Power state Brushless Motor that correlates power output with the degree of resistance offered by the workpiece.
- The jigsaw is integrated with Redlink Plus Intelligence for optimized performance and protects the unit from overheating and overloading.
- Milwaukee MLW273720 has one of the highest stroke rates at 3500 pm, controlled by a variable speed trigger.
- The machine has 4-orbital settings, including a straight cut setting, for more aggressive and faster cuts.
- Milwaukee MLW273720 has a keyless blade change system that comprises a plastic lever that is slide-actuated.
- This tool has a base plate that can be adjusted to detent at 15°, 30°, and 45° for different angled cuts.
- The unit comes with LED work lights that irradiate the cutline for clear visibility.
- This machine comes with a dust cover around the blade and a shoe guard.
- The machine comes with a 5-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Milwaukee MLW273720 can do orbital work.
- This jigsaw works perfectly for 3/4″ or less; even 1″ thick pieces cut fine.
- The unit is powerful, fast, and smooth.
- Milwaukee MLW273720 has low noise levels; 90 decibels.
- The fact that this tool has both a light and a blower makes it fantastic.
- It’s a lightweight tool, so it is easy to maneuver.
- The machine ensures an always clean working station thanks to the included vacuum port that keeps dust and debris levels down and out of the cutting view.
- This unit feels good in the hands.
- Milwaukee MLW273720 vibrates during operation.
6. Makita Cordless Jig Saw, Tool Only
Makita needs no introduction regarding its manufacture of top-notch power tools. For a long time, wood workers and contractors have asked for a versatile and powerful jigsaw; Makita has answered your call by introducing the XVJ03Z jigsaw model into the market. Makita XVJ03Z is an 18V LXT™ lithium-ion cordless jigsaw that is available as a kit or as a bare tool.
The jigsaw fires on all cylinders as it delivers control, comfort, convenience, and high performance in one go. With its compact size, this jigsaw is engineered for minimal vibration during operation for improved accuracy. Makita XVJ03Z has a convenient soleplate that can bevel between 0°-45° to produce various angled cuts.
It also has three orbital settings that enable you to achieve a reciprocating blade motion when you want to cut through material faster; you can also set the blade to cut straight up and down for an accurate and cleaner finish. This machine can reach high rates of up to 2600 SPM for fast and efficient cutting.
Some of the convenience features incorporated in this tool include a large trigger switch, a tool-less lever-operated blade change, and a built-in LED light system that illuminates the blade area. XVJ03Z weighs only 5.73 pounds and has an ergonomic grip that makes it easy to maneuver through your workpiece. The machine’s base plate is adjustable for bevel cuts. Its dimensions are 3.6 x 12.3 x 9.1 inches.
Summary of key features
- Makita XVJ03Z uses 18-volt LXT™ lithium-ion batteries.
- This jigsaw is equipped with an LED lighting system to light up the blade area for improved visibility.
- The machine has three orbital settings that allow you to make aggressive but rough-finished cuts.
- The unit has a variable speed trigger that allows you to regulate your speed of cutting.
- Makita XVJ03Z has a stroke rate that ranges from 0-2600 pm.
- This unit has a tool-less blade change that makes it convenient to swap blades.
- The tool has a beveling shoe that is adjustable from 0°-45° for bevel cuts.
- Makita XVJ03Z is quite affordable.
- This tool is easily fine-tuned.
- The machine comes with many blades, i.e., a couple of metal-cutting blades and different-sized blades for lumber.
- This jigsaw runs fine and fluidly.
- The unit is not noisy during operation.
- Makita XVJ03Z doesn’t wobble much during operation.
- The tool is easy to operate.
- With this machine, it is easy to stay on the line and get a smooth cut.
- This jigsaw is a tad bit heavy.
7. CRAFTSMAN Cordless Jig Saw, Tool Only (CMCS600B)
With over 90 years of top quality service and creative innovations, CRAFTSMAN has yet unveiled its latest product in the form of the CMCS600B 20V max* cordless jigsaw that comes as a Tool Only. This tool comes fully assembled and has an allen key for fine-tuning everything as per your need. CRAFTSMAN CMCS600B has an adjustable shoe to do bevel cuts between 0°-45° and a variable speed trigger that lets you adjust the cutting speed to your desired tempo; the maximum rate of cutting is 2500 spm.
This jigsaw also has a lock on the trigger that disengages when you temporarily stop sawing or during storage. There is a three-positioned orbital switch on the side of CMCS600B that gives versatility in cutting different materials; the control can also be set at zero to produce straight/ up and down blade movement for better precision and a more refined finish. The blade change mechanism of this machine is tool-free making it an easy task for the operator. The dimensions of this tool are 10.25 x 2.63 x 9.5 inches.
Summary of key features
- This tool has an adjustable base plate that gives a variety of bevel cuts between 0°-45°.
- The unit comes with an Allen key for fastening and fine-tuning its parts as needed.
- Craftsman CMCS600B is part of the V20 cordless system
- The tool is equipped with a variable speed trigger that ranges from 0-2500 pm.
- This jigsaw has a lock button feature that disengages the blade trigger for safe storage and during temporary breaks between cutting.
- The unit has 3 orbital settings that let the blade cut in an oscillatory pattern, which is more aggressive and faster; it also has a straight cut setting on the orbital pendulum.
- Craftsman CMCS600B has a tool-free blade change system making it effortless to insert and remove blades.
- This jigsaw model is equipped with a dust blower to clear debris from the cutting area, thus improving visibility.
- Craftsman CMCS600B is more flexible than other jigsaws hence highly convenient.
- The jigsaw is steady, thus producing more accurate cuts.
- With this tool, it’s easy to change blades.
- This unit’s variable speed feature is a real plus.
- This machine accepts both the T and U-shank blades hence versatile.
- Craftsman CMCS600B feels nimble in hand.
- This jigsaw conserves energy; therefore, the batteries can last through several cuts.
- The tool makes precise and perfect cuts.
- This jigsaw is not a pro tool, only suited for small scale use around the house.
8. DEWALT Jig Saw (DCS331M1)
The DEWALT DCS331M1 20V max lithium-ion jigsaw is kitted out with lots of desirable specs that will augment your sawing experience in what would be best described as magical. This jigsaw kit comes with a DeWalt XR 20-volts max battery, a charger, two blades that you can use for different applications, and a nice case.
This unit is similar in many ways to the DCS330 model, the 18-volt, but DEWALT DCS331M1 has a different handle that feels better in terms of grip. The machine has a variable speed trigger that allows 0-3000 strokes per minute, and it gives 1″ strokes. There are also four different orbital settings on this tool that will enable you to vary the blade’s reciprocating motion; this produces aggressive cuts and gives you versatility for sawing through various materials.
The on/off dust blower on this machine is convenient as you can engage it to blow away dust from the line of sight and even adjust it down depending on what you are working on. DEWALT DCS331M1 has a nice bevel shoe on its base that detents at 0°, 15°, 30°, and 45° for bevel cuts. This unit has an effective blade holder that prevents it from moving side to side when cutting for better accuracy in tracking the cutline.
It is slightly noisier than other jigsaws, but the upside of that is it is also faster. The machine is a lovely, well-balanced, and easy to handle unit with a smooth base that gives a frictionless slide along your workpiece. The tool’s dimensions are 16 x 14.25 x 5.25 inches, and it weighs 6 pounds.
Summary of key features
- DEWALT DCS331M1 uses a variable speed trigger for speed control.
- The machine has a cutting rate of between 0-3000 pm.
- This tool has a 4-position selector for elliptical blade motions and straight cut motion; this feature can be employed on an as-needed basis, making it versatile.
- The jigsaw is fitted with a dust blower to keep your cutline clean throughout the cutting operation.
- This unit uses a keyless blade change system composed of an all-metal lever.
- DEWALT DCS331M1 is equipped with a footplate that bevels at various angles between 0°-45°.
- The machine comes with a DeWalt XR 20-volts max battery.
- DEWALT DCS331M1 produces minimal vibration during operation.
- This machine’s blade stops moving the instant you let go of the trigger,
- Changing the jigsaw’s blades is simple and fun.
- This tool produces an excellent cut finish.
- The unit has a dust blower that works well to keep the cutline clean.
- The machine’s protective case looks nice and is sturdy.
- The jigsaw’s battery holds the charge for a long time before changing or recharging.
- DEWALT DCS331M1 does a great job with hardwood, softwood, and thin metals.
- The tool does not shoot the blade out when changing the shank, so it is challenging to eject a hot blade.
- This jigsaw is slightly noisier than the other models.
9. Makita DJV180Z 18V LXT Cordless JIGSAW
If you are looking for a lovely jigsaw that can cut in a wide variety of different situations, take a shot at this Makita DJV180Z cordless jigsaw that uses 18-volts LXT series batteries. This machine is powerful and perfect for making curved, straight, plunge, and bevel cuts. The tool is tough and designed to be used by a professional contractor or DIY enthusiast. The jigsaw weighs 5.07 pounds without the battery and has a very low vibration for its class.
Makita DJV180Z has a stroke length of 26 mm and can reach high stroke rates of up to 2600 spm; this speed is controlled with a highly sensitive variable speed trigger, a safety lock button to prevent accidental start outs. The machine cuts through a maximum depth of 135 mm of wood, 20 mm of aluminum, and 10 mm of steel. It also has a selector on its side that enables three different elliptical cutting actions resulting in a faster cut; this increase in speed does, however, result in a rougher cut.
Other features of this jigsaw include the quick-clamp and release blade mechanism that makes changing blades effortless, a removable cover plate on the base to protect workpieces from scratches, and an adjustable sole plate for bevel cuts between 0°-45° and easy to replace carbon brushes. Makita DJV180Z has been designed to direct airflow towards the cut line, and this helps to clear debris off of your line of sight; this feature is coupled with an LED work light that illuminates the blade area for an even clearer view.
The tool also includes the Makita star protection feature, which protects the device and the battery from overheating, overloading, and completely discharging. Makita DJV180Z is sold as a bare tool, meaning the batteries are sold separately. The jigsaw is housed in a durable box designed to withstand external stressors for protection. This item’s dimensions are 3.35 x 12.01 x 8.86 inches.
Summary of key features
- Makita DJV180Z has a tool-free blade change for quick blade insertion and removal.
- This jigsaw has a highly sensitive variable speed trigger that lets you regulate the pace of cutting.
- The machine cuts at rates of between 0-2600 pm.
- This unit has a beveling shoe that can be adjusted to give various angled cuts between o°-45°.
- The tool is equipped with an air blower that blows sawdust away from the cutline.
- Makita DJV180Z has a cutting depth of 135 mm of lumber, 20 mm of aluminum, and 10 mm of steel.
- The jigsaw is kitted out with Makita star protection to protect the tool and the battery from overloading and overheating.
- Makita DJV180Z has 3 orbital settings, plus a straight cut setting, which offers the flexibility of cuts.
- The unit comes with LED lights that irradiate the cutline for clear vision.
- This tool has an anti-splinter insert and a dust nozzle.
- Makita DJV180Z is neither heavy nor bulky.
- The machine has the convenience of no power cord getting in the way.
- This tool has excellent power output.
- The jigsaw cuts smoothly and blows the dust off the cut line.
- Makita DJV180Z is easy to use.
- This unit is ergonomic in hand.
- It is a fantastic jigsaw for regular use.
- The machine’s directional stability is first class.
- The tool’s base plate is solid.
- This unit is also well-balanced.
- The jigsaw has a slightly loose clip, which can cause the Allen key to slip out from its holder.
10. Metabo – (601002890 18 LTX 100 Bare), Woodworking Jig Saw
Metabo manufactures reliable, durable, and high-quality home improvement and professional power tools, pneumatic nailers, jigsaws, drills, among others. It has harnessed its expertise to manufacture the Metabo 601002890 18 LTX 100 jigsaw, which comes as a bare tool. This jigsaw is ideal for cutting all kinds of lumber, steel, boards and is powerful enough for daily use.
The machine has a variable speed trigger that is ergonomically located on the handle’s underside; this gives you control over your desired cut-rate. Its maximum blade speed is at 2400 pm, which is time-saving. This tool’s blade change system is super easy as you only have to pull on an all-metallic lever to eject the blade; this is convenient, especially when dealing with a hot that cannot be handled with bare hands.
Metabo 601002890 has an on/off dust blower system that is engaged using a knob located on its side; this helps to blow sawdust and debris out of the cutline for clear visibility; it also has LED work lights to illuminate the working area so you can use it even in poorly-lit work stations.
The tool has a base plate that can bevel up to 45° to give bevel cuts; this bevel shoe also has a cover to protect your material from scratches after cutting. Metabo 601002890 has 4 pendulum settings on its side for orbital cutting; this produces faster and aggressive cuts but with a rougher finish. The machine’s cutting depth is 135 mm in wood, 35 mm in metal, and 10 mm in steel. Metabo 601002890 is powered by 18-volts LTX series batteries, has dimensions of 9.38 x 3.19 x 7.13 inches, and weighs 5.6 pounds.
Summary of key features
- Metabo 601002890 has a variable speed trigger for controlling the tempo of cutting material.
- The jigsaw has a stroke rate that ranges from o-2400 spm.
- This tool has an on/off dust blower system that keeps the cutline clean.
- The unit comes with inbuilt LED lights that illuminate your line of sight.
- 18-volts LTX series batteries power this machine.
- Metabo 601002890 has a 4-position orbital selector, including a straight cut selector, that allows you to cut aggressively and faster.
- The jigsaw has a base plate that bevels between 0°-45° for various angled cuts.
- This unit has a tool-free blade change system.
- Metabo 601002890 is a high-quality product in every way.
- The jigsaw’s batteries last long between recharging.
- This machine is easy to carry around and maneuver as it is a lightweight design.
- The tool does not vibrate much when working.
- This unit looks attractive, courtesy of the aesthetics involved in its construction.
- The tool is cost-effective for the work it does.
- Metabo 601002890 has a sturdy build for improved durability.
- The machine fits the hand well when you hold it.
- This jigsaw comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- This unit only uses Metabo batteries.
11. Milwaukee 2445-20 M12 Cordless High Performance Jigsaw
Milwaukee Company has a commanding lead as a power tools outlet. It has asserted this authority once again by manufacturing the Milwaukee 2445-20 M12 Cordless jigsaw. The machine is a barrel-grip style jigsaw that blends affordability with efficiency to meet your basic power tool needs. The machine has a variable speed trigger on its handle and can attain maximum cut rates of 2800 strokes per minute; the stroke length is ¾ inches.
The device also has a base plate that can be adjusted to produce different bevel cuts, and it comes with an anti-splinter guard to prevent damage to your workpiece when cutting. Milwaukee 2445-20 is equipped with a lock feature that you can engage to prevent the machine from accidentally running and storage purposes; this lock system is critical for safe handling. The jigsaw has a tool-less and quick-change blade system that only involves pulling and releasing a lever just above the blade port.
This tool has in-built LED lights that irradiate the blade area for improved visual clarity, so you can even work with it in a dull-lit room. Lastly, Milwaukee 2445-20 uses 12-volts Li-Ion batteries, has dimensions of 7.66 x 2.35 x 7.11 inches, and weighs 3.8 pounds.
Summary of key features
- Milwaukee 2445-20 is lightweight and compact; it is 7.66″ long and weighs only 3.8 lbs.
- The machine has a barrel-grip style handle.
- This tool comes with an anti-splinter insert that prevents damage to your workpiece.
- The jigsaw has a stroke length of ¾ inches.
- Milwaukee 2445-20 is equipped with a variable speed trigger that gives you full control of stroke rate.
- The maximum speed of this jigsaw is 2800 spm.
- This unit is kitted out with LED work lights to illuminate the cutting blade.
- The tool has an adjustable bevel shoe that allows the user to make angled cuts on their workpiece.
- Milwaukee 2445-20 has a lock feature that disengages the trigger when the machine is not running.
- Milwaukee 2445-20 is small and lightweight.
- This tool is cordless, so you don’t have to worry about cutting the cord accidentally when the machine is running.
- The unit is relatively safe to use.
- The device saves energy-giving its batteries a long life.
- This jigsaw comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
- Milwaukee 2445-20 turns quickly.
- The tool maintains a straight course of cutting.
- This machine produces perfect cuts.
- The unit is stable and easy to handle.
- Milwaukee 2445-20 does not have a blower, so you have to clear the cut line independently.
- This machine does not have orbital abilities that give more aggressive cuts.
12. Ryobi P524 Cordless Brushless Jig Saw (Tool Only)
Ryobi Limited is an illustrious enterprise famed for its manufacture of electronics, builders’ hardware, and power tools. One of such products is the Ryobi P524 Cordless Brushless jigsaw that uses 18-volt one+ batteries! This tool’s blade gives a 1-inch stroke and can reach maximum speeds of up to 3500 spm.
This unit differs from other jigsaws in terms of speed control; it has a single-speed trigger, and to change the blade’s speed, you have to adjust a variable speed dial that is located on the front top part of the tool. Ryobi P524 has a four-position adjustment pendulum on its side that gives you the option to produce elliptical blade movements for more aggressive and faster cuts. You can also set the pendulum at zero so that the blade only tracks up and down for a slower cut but more precise and cleaner finish.
The jigsaw has a soleplate that can be adjusted between 0°-45° if you want to produce bevel-shaped cuts; this soleplate is covered by a Norman skid plate to protect the underside of the tool from wear and to protect your workpiece from scratches. The Norman skid plate of Ryobi P524 has carriages that hold two extra blades, so you can carry them with you to your job site just in case you need to change blades.
Speaking of blade change, it uses a tool-free system to eject or mount cutting shanks; the blade ejection mechanism has a spring, so you don’t have to touch a hot blade when you want to exchange it. This machine uses LED work lights to illuminate the cutting area around the shank for clear visibility. This unit’s power output is incredible as it uses 6.0 Amp batteries, which gives an excellent battery life. Ryobi P524 measures 12 x 6.5 x 11 inches, which is convenient for portability and storage.
Summary of key features
- Ryobi P524 uses a brushless motor that operates proportionally to the resistance offered by your workpiece.
- This machine has a variable speed dial for controlling the rate of cutting.
- The tool’s cutting speed is between 0-3500 spm, which ranks among the highest stroke rates.
- This jigsaw has a base plate that can be adjusted to different angles to give bevel cuts.
- The unit has a Norman skid plate covering its base plate, enabling frictionless tracking along your workpiece; this skid plate has carriages that hold extra cutting blades.
- Ryobi P524 is fitted with LED work lights that illuminate the cutting area for better visibility.
- The machine employs a tool-less blade change mechanism, which is convenient and straightforward.
- The jigsaw has a 4-position selector, including a straight cut setting, for oscillating cutting patterns that are faster and more aggressive.
- This unit’s D-handle feels comfortable and is easy to grip
- The tool’s thumb-controlled speed dial is easy to get used to.
- The machine has ample power to do anything you need, whether it’s cutting through pine or hardwoods.
- The unit’s base plate locks in place firmly and accurately.
- This machine’s blades align perfectly with the guide roller and eject nicely, so you don’t have to touch a hot shank.
- Ryobi P524 is several times cheaper than its contemporaries but performs equally well
- This jigsaw turns on when you pull the trigger, and It stays on for several seconds when you release the trigger.
- The machine saves a lot of time as it is powerful.
- Ryobi P524 is not heavy and is comfortable to use.
- This tool is durable.
- Ryobi P524 uses battery power pretty quickly owing to its powerful nature.
13. Ridgid R8832B OCTANE Cordless Brushless Jig Saw
Ridgid is a premier company concerning manufacturing power tools that are efficient, reliable, durable, and pocket friendly. Ridgid” s creativity and inventive ideas have led to Ridgid R8832B Cordless Brushless jigsaw production that uses 18-volt batteries. This tool comes with a dust collection conduit that is easy to connect and detach.
It has 3 adjustment settings on its side to produce orbital motions on the blade for faster but rough cuts; you can also set the blade to cut up and down for slower but cleaner cuts. This jigsaw has a trigger under the handle to initiate blade motion and a speed knob on the top for speed control; the maximum cutting rate is at 3500 pm. It has a unique feature called the ‘line start’ that lets the jigsaw start slow on the cutting and pick up speed gradually.
The jigsaw is fitted with LED work lights that illuminate the blade area for improved visibility. Ridgid R8832B has a lever adjustment on its front for quick and tool-less blade change; you simply slide over the lever, slip the blade in, and then release the lever. The unit has a soleplate that can be adjusted for bevel cuts; its smooth base ensures frictionless movement of the saw along your workpiece; plus, the soleplate can be replaced when worn out. Ridgid R8832B has dimensions of 10.24 x 9.45 x 3.94 inches and weighs 4.15 pounds.
Summary of key features
- This machine uses 6.0 Ah octane batteries.
- Ridgid R8832B has a unique feature called line start that starts gently, and then once you’ve got that start of the line going, you can adjust your speed higher.
- The unit has 3 different oscillation settings for orbital cuts, and you can also set to straight cuts.
- The tool has a variable speed knob/dial on the top part for speed control; you can also adjust the speed using the speed trigger located under the handle.
- Ridgid R8832B has an adjustable footplate for bevel cuts.
- This machine is equipped with LED work lights to irradiate your line of cut.
- The machine has a tool-less blade change mechanism.
- Its blade locks in place nicely and snuggly, and it’s simple to insert and eject.
- This machine’s dust collection conduit is easy to connect and detach.
- It’s well-designed, looks nice.
- Ridgid R8832B can produce both straight cuts and oscillating cuts.
- The jigsaw can do 45-degree cuts left or right.
- The tool is easy to handle.
- Ridgid R8832B is lightweight hence easy to maneuver.
- This unit gives you an excellent and firm grip, which is highly convenient for cutting up materials.
- It is challenging to eject hot blades as it involves direct handling with hands.
- The vacuum attachment feature isn’t much efficient at collecting debris.
14. CRAFTSMAN Cordless Jig Saw Kit (CMCS600D1)
Craftsman is a corporation involved in the production of top-notch garden equipment, power tools, and workwear. One of its noble innovations is the Craftsman Cordless Jigsaw, CMCS600D1. This unit comes with a variable speed trigger that offers incredible control on the rate of sawing; it has a maximum stroke rate of 2500 spm.
Craftsman CMCS600D1 has 3 orbital settings on the side that lets you change the cut aggressiveness for different materials; it produces elliptical cutting motions. The unit has a beveling shoe that pivots up to 45° for angled cuts. The jigsaw handle is ergonomically-built; it is contoured, making it comfortable to hold. Add the Craftsman CMCS600D1 to your shopping cart, so you don’t miss out on this fantastic tool. The item’s dimensions are 10.25 x 5.75 x 9.25 inches, uses 20-volt max* batteries, and weighs 7.34 pounds.
Summary of key features
- Craftsman CMCS600D1 is compatible with both the T-shank and U-shank blades for the versatility of use.
- Craftsman CMCS600D1 has 3 oscillation settings that allow you to make orbital cutting motions that are more aggressive and quick; you can also set the machine to give straight but smooth cuts.
- This machine has an adjustable bevel shoe that enables angled cuts of up to 45°.
- The unit has a variable speed trigger that ranges between 0-2500 spm.
- This jigsaw comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- Craftsman CMCS600D1 has a tool-less blade change system making it easy to insert and remove the blade.
- You can adjust this machine’s blade to cut out circles, rectangles, triangles, and many other shapes.
- The tool is very well balanced.
- Craftsman CMCS600D1 is lightweight enough for the convenience of use.
- The jigsaw doesn’t get caught up in the knots in the wood.
- With this unit, it is easy to cut a straight line on your workpiece as its blade glides effortlessly through the timber.
- This machine saves energy as its batteries hold a charge for a long time.
- Craftsman CMCS600D1 does not have a blower to keep sawdust away from the cut line.
- The machine does not have LED work lights to illuminate the cut line.
15. Makita VJ04R1 12V MAX CXT Cordless Jig Saw Kit
Makita Corporation is at the forefront of the power tools industry, heavily invested in their manufacture and distribution. One such example is the Makita VJ04R1 jigsaw. This jigsaw is cordless and uses 12V max CXT Li-Ion batteries for power. This machine is easy to use, more powerful, and more accurate than jigsaws of the same class; it is an excellent tool for its cost as it performs better than expected.
This unit has 3 orbital settings on its side that set the blade to produce reciprocating movements that are more aggressive and fast. The tool has a base plate that can be adjusted to make bevel cuts. The jigsaw also has a lock key feature on the handle’s side; this is used to disengage the variable speed trigger during temporary stops or for storage. The machine has a variable speed trigger that lets you control your cutting pace; its maximum speed is 2900 spm.
The blade change mechanism of Makita VJ04R1 is easy and involves using an Allen key that comes with the machine. For convenience, the unit comes with an LED battery charge indicator that shows battery levels and general performance. The dimensions of this jigsaw are 5.1 x 16.8 x 13.1 inches, and it weighs 3.8 pounds.
Summary of key features
- Makita VJ04R1 has a cutting speed of between o-2900 strokes per minute.
- This unit has 3 orbital settings for elliptical cutting motions, plus straight cut settings.
- The machine is lightweight in design weighing only 3.8 lbs for improved portability.
- The unit comes with a dust port connected to a vacuum machine to collect debris, thus keeping your working station clean.
- Makita VJ04R1 comes with a hard case that protects it from external damage and for safe storage.
- The tool has a built-in dust blower that keeps the cutting area clean and clear by blowing off accumulated sawdust.
- The unit has a footplate that can be adjusted from 0°-45° for bevel cuts.
- This machine uses T-shank blades.
- The unit’s blade change mechanism is simple, involving an Allen key to fasten the blade and eject it.
- Makita VJ04R1 is equipped with an LED battery charge indicator that is highly convenient.
- 12V max CXT Li-Ion batteries power the tool.
- Makita VJ04R1 does well what it is intended to do.
- The tool is a lightweight design.
- This jigsaw has an excellent overall build quality.
- The device is easy to handle.
- This unit has incorporated great ergonomic features.
- Makita VJ04R1 has convenient orbital and straight cutting modes to select.
- The machine’s batteries charge pretty quickly on the charger.
- This jigsaw has a better than the normal line of sight.
- The unit’s speed control feature is fun to explore.
- Makita VJ04R1 lacks the run time for more extended cutting.
- This machine has no onboard compartment for storage of the Allen key.
Best Cordless Jigsaw for Woodworking Buyer’s Guide
In this segment, I will highlight the distinguishing features you need to look out for when shopping for one or more of the above jigsaws. This part is critical for providing you with the necessary knowledge to guide your decision-making as you shop for these power tools.
Why You Should Buy the Best Cordless Jigsaw for Woodworking
They are convenient: The machines discussed in this review abound inconvenient features, the best of which being the cordless element; this makes them easy to handle and carry around to various job sites.
Excellent speed control: The jigsaws highlighted in this article have speed control features that enable you to work at your desired pace and also enable you to cut materials in different situations. Slow cutting speed is characterized by higher precision and cleaner finish, while high cutting speed is fast and produces a rough finish on your material.
Easy to handle: An ideal machine should be comfortable to use and user friendly. The jigsaws named above are ergonomically built for easy handling. For example, the handle is conveniently located on the top of these tools and is contoured for a firmer grip. The units are also lightweight and small-sized, making them easy to maneuver when cutting.
Versatile: Versatility of use is a highly-desired feature of machines the world over. The machines explored in this article offer great flexibility in terms of the types of work done. A single jigsaw can produce straight cuts, bevel cuts, rough cuts, and smooth cuts, which is a marvel.
Durable: I cannot emphasize enough that durability is a feature that is highly cherished by consumers. A long-lasting tool gives you great satisfaction as a user, as this is the hallmark of a good investment. These jigsaws are built with input from the best engineering minds, and they will undoubtedly pass the durability test.
They are safe: A safe machine is a gem in the work environment, and there’s no better way to achieve this than acquiring the Best Cordless Jigsaw for carpenters and contractors. An example of a safety feature incorporated in some of these jigsaws is the lock system, which disengages the blade trigger to prevent the tools from running accidentally and for storage.
Factors to Look Out for When Purchasing the Best Cordless Jigsaw for Woodworking
- Cutting speed of the jigsaw
The cutting rate of jigsaws is measured in strokes per minute of the blade. All of the above jigsaws have high speeds of cutting, but some have relatively higher stroke rates. A case in point is the Makita XVJ02Z Brushless jigsaw, which can reach a maximum speed of 3500 spm, which is remarkable. Some jigsaws, such as CRAFTSMAN Cordless (CMCS600D1), can attain top speeds of 2500 spm, which is still high but comparatively lower than its 3500 spm counterpart. In this case, it’s imperative that you only buy the jigsaw that is best suited for the task at hand.
- Stroke length of the jigsaw
The jigsaw’s stroke length impacts the depth of cut of the jigsaw, which goes in tandem with the thickness of the material to be cut. Jigsaws with longer stroke lengths can cut through thicker lumber pieces with ease, while those with shorter stroke lengths are suited for less thick timber. A good mention is the Makita DJV180Z Cordless jigsaw, which has a stroke length of 1.02 inches; it ranks high in the stroke length index and can therefore cut thick pieces of wood better than the other machines.
- T-shank vs. U-shank blades
U-shank blades used to be more common in the earlier versions of jigsaws. Nowadays, the T-shanks is the more prevalent type. The above change has occurred due to a shift in the blade change mechanism of jigsaws; U-shank blades require an Allen key to be fastened into position and be ejected, while T-shank does not need any external tool to switch between blades.
T-shank jigsaws are therefore more widespread than U-shank jigsaws owing to their quick and tool-less blade change system. Still, jigsaws can take both the T-shank blade and the U-shank blade for convenience and flexibility of use, for example, the Ryobi P524 Cordless Brushless Jig Saw (Tool Only).
- Orbital vs. Straight cuts
When shopping for a jigsaw, it’s crucial to know beforehand the machine’s blade motion capability. Blade motion of a jigsaw is categorized into two, i.e., straight motion and orbital movement. Straight motion cuts mean the blade tracks up and down in a straight line only, while orbital motion means the shank follows an elliptical or oval pattern.
Straight cuts are meant for the slower, more accurate, and more pleasing finish, while orbital motions are meant for faster and rougher cuts. In this review, the jigsaws discussed have controls that allow you to set the blade to either straight or orbital cutting as you please.
The soleplate is also known as the base plate, footplate, bevel shoe, or simply the shoe. It is located at the bottom part of the machine, as its name suggests, and is a vital component of an ideal jigsaw. The soleplate’s essential function is to allow for angled cuts on your workpiece; these angled cuts are commonly referred to as bevels.
Jigsaws have footplates that can be adjusted to a maximum angle of 45°, some of which have detents at 15°, 30°, and 45°, while others have no in-between detents as highlighted in this review. Bevel shoes come with a smooth, protective bottom cover that prevents damage to your material when cutting. Additionally, some jigsaws have storage compartments in their base plates for holding extra blades, which you can carry with you to the job site, e.g., the Ryobi P524 Cordless Brushless Jig Saw (Tool Only).
- Machine power and voltage
A jigsaw’s power and voltage refer to its rate of doing work and its potential to do work, respectively. The voltage of a cordless jigsaw is the principal measure of its power; the higher the voltage, the more powerful the motor, and the more efficient it is. Voltages of cordless jigsaws range between 12 to 36 volts.
It is unwise to blindly purchase a very high power machine without taking into account the task at hand; if you buy a very powerful jigsaw for delicate tasks, you may fail to get good returns in terms of investment. Therefore, I urge you to take a keen look at what you need before you buy. An example of a powerful jigsaw among the ones I’ve discussed above is the DEWALT Jig Saw, Tool Only (DCS331B), which uses 20-volt batteries.
Watch the video below on how to use a cordless jigsaw:
After the above-detailed analyses of various jigsaws, I would like to remind you that a machine’s essence is to make work easier, lower production costs, and reduce labor demands. These machines duly fit the purposes mentioned above, and sawing couldn’t get any better than using any of the above acquisitions. Buy yourself one of these units and rest assured of reaping all its worth immediately.
I would settle for the Milwaukee (MLW273720) Jig Saw (Bare) owing to the several outstanding features it bears and because it has fewer relatively minor downsides. The machine has a high cutting speed of 3500 spm, great convenience features like a detented bevel shoe, and low noise levels discussed earlier in this article.
It is also important to note that my pick must not necessarily be the best among the jigsaws discussed in this review because this is a matter of preference. For example, if you want a jigsaw that straddles both affordability and quality of work done, you can opt for the CRAFTSMAN Cordless Jig Saw Kit (CMCS600D1). So I’ll leave the purchasing bit of the decision to you given that preferences and priority needs differ.